New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello,

Just wanted to tell everyone about a problem that stole 1 or 2 hours of my life.

I just installed Windows 7 on my primary PC, which has a USB printer attached. I then went to set up network printing so that my secondary XP PC could print through the Win7 PC to the USB printer. Both my primary and secondary PCs have four user accounts configured, with the same passwords used on both PCs. This arrangement was working fine when my primary PC was running Vista.

I configured the network as described in Woody Leonhard's 11/5 Windows Secrets article. This worked very well, and in no time I was able to print from the XP PC to the USB printer connected to the Win7 PC. I tested this on my and my wife's accounts with success.

The next day, my son informed me that he couldn't print. Sure enough, from his account on the XP PC, I could not see the networked printer. All other accounts could print perfectly. Why couldn't my son print from his XP account?

The answer is that my son, who feels that he has nothing to hide, never established a password on his user accounts. While this caused no problems with Vista, apparently Win7 won't allow sharing to an XP account with no password. Once my son put passwords on his accounts (on both PCs), he was able to print with the rest of us!

Hope this helps,

Steve

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    apparently Win7 won't allow sharing to an XP account with no password.
    While the "passwords" method certainly works, Win7 WILL allow sharing to an XP account without passwords. My home network consists of XP, Vista and Win7 machines and NONE of them have passwords. I have no problem sharing files or printers with any of the machines.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    This is a very common issue on all versions of Windows from Windows XP onwards. Accounts with no passwords often won't work properly for network access.

This can sometimes be fixed by following the instructions from here, which include...

1. Download and install the Windows 2003 Server Resource Kit Tools .

2. Click Start > All Programs > Windows Resource Kit Tools > Command Shell .

3. Type these lines at the command prompt. The second and third ones are case-sensitive so type them exactly as shown. Note the "+r" in the second one and the "-r" in the third one:

net user guest /active:yes
    ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest
    I don't know if the version of ntrights in that resource kit works on Windows 7, but it is definitely OK on Windows XP and Vista.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    While the "passwords" method certainly works, Win7 WILL allow sharing to an XP account without passwords. My home network consists of XP, Vista and Win7 machines and NONE of them have passwords. I have no problem sharing files or printers with any of the machines.
    That's interesting. I guess I don't fully understand when not having an account password will work vs. when it will cause problems. All I know is that my son couldn't print from the XP PC when he didn't have passwords, but now that he has passwords, he can print.

It would be interesting to fully understand how Windows 7 decides that it will or will not restrict access.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Goldstein View Post
    That's interesting. I guess I don't fully understand when not having an account password will work vs. when it will cause problems. All I know is that my son couldn't print from the XP PC when he didn't have passwords, but now that he has passwords, he can print.
    I don't know the answer to that either Steve, but as Stuart has mentioned, this has been as issue for many users with XP, Vista and now Win 7. The problem is not universal but the easiest way to solve it (as you have discovered) is to enforce passwords on all of the computers. Why this is required for some but not for others - I have no idea.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions