2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a question about monitor detection in the Device Manager of my laptop. I'm using a Dell Latitude D420 laptop with a docking station and external monitor (Dell 1707FPc), running WinXP Pro SP2. I downloaded and installed a driver for the monitor from the Dell website this morning. Before the new driver install I had five instances of "Plug and Play Monitor" in device manager. I expected two - one object for the LCD screen integral to the laptop and one for the external monitor. I imagined the others may have been retained details from other monitors I've connected to from time to time at other docking stations as I moved around the building.

I uninstalled all five, then opted to "Scan for Hardware Changes", whereupon all five were re-detected and installed again as "Plug and Play Monitor" objects. I tried updating the driver for each object with the downloaded Dell driver. Three of the occurrences accepted the updated driver and two said that the existing driver was the best fit for the detected hardware. From this, I'm assuming that the remaining two "Plug and Play monitor" objects relate to the laptop's LCD screen.

Two questions arise from this: Firstly, why do two physical display devices result in 5 hardware objects in Device Manager? I'm aware that the monitors can support several different modes, but would be surprised if that resulted in different monitor objects in DM, (besides, they both support many more modes that there are object instances). Secondly, why isn't there a more specific driver for the the laptop screen? I interpret the "Plug and Play Monitor" entry to be a generic WinXP driver being used in the absence of anything more specific to the hardware detected. I've checked the Dell website and there's a driver for the graphics controller, which is installed correctly, but there doesn't appear to be one for the integral LCD screen - unless it's bundled with something else in a not-very-obvious way.

Can anyone shed any light??
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    More information:
    I just added a second external monitor (the reason this whole issue arose was that my original second monitor gave up the ghost this morning and I had to have it replaced). Adding the second external monitor (the same model as the first), created two more "Plug and Play Monitor" objects in Device Manager, both of which changed to "Dell 1707FP" when upgraded to the correct Dell driver. Interestingly, the original three objects now have a suffix of "Digital" to distinguish them from the new monitor object, which has the suffix (Analog) - see attached screenshot. I can't remember the original three objects having a "Digital" suffix before the addition of the second external monitor, but I may be wrong.

Still puzzled...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Regards,

Steve

"A good friend will help you move; a really good friend will help you move a body"

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know, but when I add the ICM file (.icm; Image Color Matching) on my system, the monitor is "recognised" and mentioned in the DM.

That files goes into the monitor driver place; for example via:
    Right-click Desktop then Properties.
    Settings tab, click Advanced.
    Monitor tab, click Properties.
    Driver tab, click Update Driver.
    Or, of course, via the DM, for the monitor.

BTW: if you want to see non present devices in the DM, take a look at this post. The most obvious reason for non present devices is that they are not connected, such as an USB memory or similar and then there is no reason to remove the hidden device (if itís working), but it can also be old items from failed installations or no longer used devices.