Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a document that is >100 pages in length. I downloaded it from another application. In so doing, there are many instances of multiple spaces between words or at the beginning/end of a sentence. What I would like to end up with is one space between each word, and two spaces at the beginning of each sentence. Any ideas?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You could try using Replace.

Find What: ([!.])<space><space>
    Replace with: \1<space>
    Use wildcards checked
    Note that each <space> above should be a real space, not what I have typed here.

This will replace every double space with a single space, except if the preceeding character is a . which should get close to what you want.
    You can do the replace multiple times to deal with longer strings of spaces.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jlkirk View Post
    I have a document that is >100 pages in length. I downloaded it from another application. In so doing, there are many instances of multiple spaces between words or at the beginning/end of a sentence. What I would like to end up with is one space between each word, and two spaces at the beginning of each sentence. Any ideas?
    Hi jlkirk,

Double-spacing between sentences is a legacy from the days of the typewriter, when fixed-width fonts were all one had. With modern word-processors using proportional fonts, double-spacing between sentences serves no useful purpose - especially once you get into fully-justified text.

Stuart's Find/Replace operation will get you close to what you asked for, but you should be aware that it could leave double spaces after abbreviations ending with periods (eg T.S. Elliott)
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]