Thread: Page Numbering

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know how to get Word 2007 to put page numbers in like A-1, B-1, C-1, etc. I have appendices that I want to number this way and have them show up in the TOC just that way also.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dm19134 View Post
    Does anyone know how to get Word 2007 to put page numbers in like A-1, B-1, C-1, etc. I have appendices that I want to number this way and have them show up in the TOC just that way also.
    One way to do it is described here.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    One way to do it is described here.
    I've tried this and it doesn't work either.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I've tried this and it doesn't work either.
    Can you explain what "it doesn't work either" means, what didn't happen that you expected?

Better still can you include an example of a document where it doesn't work.

Edited by StuartR to add an example based on the link I provided above...

[attachment=86584:Table of Contents.doc]
    Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you explain what "it doesn't work either" means, what didn't happen that you expected?

Better still can you include an example of a document where it doesn't work.

Edited by StuartR to add an example based on the link I provided above...

[attachment=86584:Table of Contents.doc]
    The company I work for creates their own templates and document procedures. The fix mentioned above doesn't work in accordance with these procedures and format. I'm trying to figure out a way to number the Appendices in our documents with A-1 etc, B-1 etc, C-1 etc, and have these page numbers show up in the TOC as A-1, B-1, C-1. I believe if I can understand how to programm the Field Codes this will solve my problem. This the code that shows up in the TOC for one of the links: {HYPERLINK \1 "_Toc246310100}, this is what it looks like in the document: A-{PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT}

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I assume that you know that you can toggle the visibility of field codes by pressing Alt+F9?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I do. I have the field code for the first appendix of a document I'm working on at the moment: Appendix { SEQ Appendix \*ALPHABETIC }. Is there a way to incorporate the SEQ code into the page number code?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes. I do. I have the field code for the first appendix of a document I'm working on at the moment: Appendix { SEQ Appendix \*ALPHABETIC }. Is there a way to incorporate the SEQ code into the page number code?
    You really should not need to be delving into the field codes in this way. The instructions I pointed you to were used to create the sample document I posted. Does this sample document display page numbers in the way you want?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart,

Your document does display numbers the wa I want (on the page and in the TOC). I must be very slow because I can't figure out how to recreate what you've done in my own document. Are there a step by step instruction (TOC for Dumbies)

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    The company I work for creates their own templates and document procedures. The fix mentioned above doesn't work in accordance with these procedures and format. I'm trying to figure out a way to number the Appendices in our documents with A-1 etc, B-1 etc, C-1 etc, and have these page numbers show up in the TOC as A-1, B-1, C-1. I believe if I can understand how to programm the Field Codes this will solve my problem. This the code that shows up in the TOC for one of the links: {HYPERLINK \1 "_Toc246310100}, this is what it looks like in the document: A-{PAGE \* MERGEFORMAT}
    As far as I know, the only way to get the TOC to pick up page numbers with section/chapter indicators is to select "include chapter number" when formatting the page number and to use multilevel list numbering with a built-in heading style linked to a numbering level.

The "A-" in your header/footer is manually typed and can't be picked up.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Stuart,

Your document does display numbers the wa I want (on the page and in the TOC). I must be very slow because I can't figure out how to recreate what you've done in my own document. Are there a step by step instruction (TOC for Dumbies)
    There are VERY DETAILED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS in the link I posted earlier, please go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...587421033.aspx and follow the instructions EXACTLY, one step at a time.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are VERY DETAILED STEP BY STEP INSTRUCTIONS in the link I posted earlier, please go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/wo...587421033.aspx and follow the instructions EXACTLY, one step at a time.
    I would like to thank you for your patience with me. Your suggestion is for Word 2002, 2003. I'm on Word 2007 and the instructions don't jive with that version. Any other suggestions?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to thank you for your patience with me. Your suggestion is for Word 2002, 2003. I'm on Word 2007 and the instructions don't jive with that version. Any other suggestions?
    I have just applied these instructions to a Word 2007 document and written down exactly what I did. Try following these steps.

<Edited by StuartR because the lounge totally messed up my multilevel bulleted list when I posted it, even though it looked perfect in the preview. Here is a Word document with instructions...>

[attachment=86618:Appendix Instructions.doc]
    Attached Files Attached Files