Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Microsoft has released Office 2010 Beta. I downloaded it, 684 megs, about 15 minutes. The first download failed, did a retry and it worked.
    I did a "Upgrade" since I had 2007 Pro installed. Had a power failuer just as the install was trying to finish up. Second try, went smoothly.

The Office Orb has been replaced by a "File" tab in the ribbon bar area, is the first thing I noticed. The "File" area is now called the "Backstage".

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 927 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Microsoft has released Office 2010 Beta. I downloaded it, 684 megs, about 15 minutes. The first download failed, did a retry and it worked.
    I did a "Upgrade" since I had 2007 Pro installed. Had a power failuer just as the install was trying to finish up. Second try, went smoothly.

The Office Orb has been replaced by a "File" tab in the ribbon bar area, is the first thing I noticed. The "File" area is now called the "Backstage".
    I just installed 64-bit Pro plus - 750 MB download. Must uninstall 32-bit Office 2007 first. 64-bit Installer won't run if 32-bit version is installed. Uninstalled 32-bit Outlook connector also. Outlook detected a htomail account and asked me to download the 64-bit Outlook Connector beta. Cool.

Joe
    Joe

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

I had no problems with the download (I was surprised at how fast it was), but the install failed. Though I had removed the O2010 tech preview, I had not removed the Send a Smile app. Office won't install if any part of the tech preview is present. Once I removed the app and restarted the computer, the custom install went well. The black color scheme is very nice.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Re: Office Pro Plus 2010 Beta
    What's the time limit on this Beta 2 version? I'm assuming there is one. The Tech Preview limit was for a mere 30 days. IF the time limit is significantly longer than 30 days I might use the bandwidth to download this latest one.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    What's the time limit on this Beta 2 version? I'm assuming there is one. The Tech Preview limit was for a mere 30 days. IF the time limit is significantly longer than 30 days I might use the bandwidth to download this latest one.
    IIRC, October 2010.

Joe
    Joe

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    IIRC, October 2010.
    Thanks Joe, even though I don't know what IIRC means... hehehe. October 2010 is good enough for me. I'm downloading it now with their stupid Download Manager @ 17-30 KB/sec. So, tomorrow morning it should be done.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Silly thing..... woke up this morning to find the download completed but with "fatal errors". So, I'll have to download it again, which is not sitting well with me since I have a "FAP" since I'm on satellite and having to download 1.5+ gigs is going to put a significant dent in my bandwidth allottment, never mind taking another 6 +/- hours to download the file.

@Hans... thanks for the explanation. After I replied I remembered that there are a few websites which give definitions for these acrostics and for IIRC has quite a list of possibilities. The "If I Remember Correctly" option seemed most reasonable to me too.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I had to Google FAP (made me blush...)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmm... I am using Office 7, and I have to say that although the program works, I absolutely HATE what they have done to mess up the toolbar in Word (which, together with Outlook, is all I really use out of the suite). It is so incredibly HARD to find what you need, or want, on the toolbar. I have no intention of trying the 2010 beta, or of upgrading to it when it comes out, unless that include an option to revert back to, say, the Office XP toolbar setup. They hide so much stuff now. I know, MS says we now have all sorts of "options" available, and there will be more and more and the versions keep coming - but all that is just their sales department driving development. They want it to appear that we are getting more of what we "need", so we will buy their next release.

I really wish the WordPerfect interface - as in 5.1 for DOS or 6.x for Windows - was still available. It really rocked!

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    I had to Google FAP (made me blush...)
    Ooops, perhaps you got the wrong definition? I should have not assumed that "FAP" was generally understood. Satellite Internet and some other types of broadband are regulated by a "Far Access Policy", either explicitedly stated or unpublished (aka: at the discretion of the ISP) where a "cap" on the maximum amount of bandwidth, both download and upload is implemented for a designated period of time, e.g., from 24 hrs to monthly. If you exceed that allotment then your speeds are significantly reduced (ala dialup speeds) until the specified period is reached and then your speeds are restored to 'normal'.

Okay, so back to the waiting for the download to finish and hope that this time there won't be a "fatal error"....
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Chiababy View Post
    Hmmm... I am using Office 7, and I have to say that although the program works..........

I have no intention of trying the 2010 beta, or of upgrading to it when it comes out, unless that include an option to revert back to, say, the Office XP toolbar setup.

I hope you are saying that you are using Office 2007 and not just 7 as it is really old.

As for the Classic menus, you will NEVER see them again, as they have been added to some of the others programs within the Office suite. Also note, that Windows 7 apps such as Paint, Wordpad now are using the ribbon bar. You are just going to have to start using them or get left behind.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hmmm... I am using Office 7, and I have to say that although the program works, I absolutely HATE what they have done to mess up the toolbar in Word (which, together with Outlook, is all I really use out of the suite). It is so incredibly HARD to find what you need, or want, on the toolbar. I have no intention of trying the 2010 beta, or of upgrading to it when it comes out, unless that include an option to revert back to, say, the Office XP toolbar setup. They hide so much stuff now. I know, MS says we now have all sorts of "options" available, and there will be more and more and the versions keep coming - but all that is just their sales department driving development. They want it to appear that we are getting more of what we "need", so we will buy their next release.

I really wish the WordPerfect interface - as in 5.1 for DOS or 6.x for Windows - was still available. It really rocked!
    For Office 2007 try Search Commands from the Office Labs group at Microsoft. There are other interesting addins for Office 2007 at the Microsoft Office Labs site. See http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=694431 for a couple of programs that will customize the ribbon.

Office 2010 lets you customize the ribbon much more easily than Office 2007. The ribbon is much more pervasive in Office 2010 that in 2007. Microsoft is not going back to the old style menu.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Ooops, perhaps you got the wrong definition? I should have not assumed that "FAP" was generally understood.
    The lounge has an acronym tag for just this purpose. You should have referred to a [acronym=Fair Access Policy]FAP[/acronym]

Thanks
    I absolutely HATE what they have done to mess up the toolbar in Word.
    While is is not applicable to Outlook, UBitMenu is a neat add-on that will make the classic menu and toolbars available in Word, Excel and PowerPoint (both 2007 and 2010 versions). And it's . Have a look at this article.

But as others have mentioned, it looks like the Ribbon is here to stay, so it's probably best to get used to it.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast