MustangGuy

Where is the Genius Office Assistant? (Office XP)

I upgraded to Office XP this past weekend and am now trying to work through several annoyances that I can't seem to get to work correctly, and I am hoping someone can help.

In Office 2000, I was using the "Genius" Office Assistant. In Office XP, when I select "Show Assistant" and then right click on the Assistant and select "Choose Assistant", the Genius is not included in the gallery of
    available assistants. How do I get the Genius back?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Where is the Genius Office Assistant? (Office XP)

Not having been blessed with XP, my guess is that it's the same as for '97:

Have a look on the installation CD for a folder called 'ValuPack'. In here is another folder called 'Actors'. Look for a file within called 'Genius.act' and copy it to the 'Actors' folder on your C: drive (on my machine using '97 it's in C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOfficeActors).

For some reason on mine, each assistant I've loaded in appears twice in the Gallery, but only one instance of each actually works. Is this another feature?

This is being recited this from memory as I don't have my copy to hand to give you the accurate instructions, so apologies for any inaccuracies but the general gist is hopefully correct.

EILEEN & ALL - Is there ANY way of making a customised Office Assistant? I feel Lex most deserving of this recognition. Oh, the exclusivity of it!

P.S. Scribble rules.

Thanks

Well, in theory you go to help in (e.g.) Word, click on Office on the Web then select Product Updates.
    But I don't think there are any more than what you have available yet.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

double check by rerunnnig setup and using the add/remove features option - browse to the actors section - but it looks like genius was removed. (there is no value pack or folders to browse on the cd)

it might work to copy the genius actor from a office 2000 machine, i think they use the same ones. (office 97 uses a different format)

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

From Office 97 to Office 2k/XP, Microsoft change the way Office handle its Assistants. Office 2K/XP doesn't use .act files anymore as Office 97 does, but .acf files.
    For unknown reasons, Genius.acf does not included in Office XP installation disc. Probably, you can copy it from Office 2k folder.
    To Fish: the reason each assistant appears twice is that one of them is actual .acf file on your hard drive, and the other is .acs file - shortcut to your installation disc. You can easily delete .acs files if you have .acf files with the same name on your hard drive already (for example, Clippit.acf and Clippit.acs). Then each assistant will appear only once.
    There is no Valupack folder on Office 2k/XP installation discs. To add features, you can click Start | Settings | Control Panel | Add/Remive Programs | Microsoft Office... | Change.