View Poll Results: What OS will your next phone use?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Windows Mobile only if it is version 7

8 15.69%
  • Windows Mobile 6.5

12 23.53%
  • Blackberry

5 9.80%
  • Android

21 41.18%
  • IPhone

5 9.80%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm going to be upgrading changing my phone in the next few months and frankly while I love a phone that I can synchronize with my calendar, email and spreadsheets - Win Mobile has left me underwhelmed (I haven't bothered to upgrade to WinMobile 6.5 yet).
    So I'm thinking about moving to a Blackberry, or maybe an IPod or maybe to an Android.

What are your plans?
    Have a preference - tell me why!
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    I use WinMo 6.1 and am very undecided about my next phone.

Email and calendar are my critical apps. As more phones support Exchange ActiveSync, either natively or through third party software, we learn that there are individual feature omissions that cause problems for some user configurations. I'm hoping someday to find a grand comparison (or find the funds to do it myself) of email and calendar sync on Windows Mobile vs. iPhone vs. Android (with supplied or third party software) vs. BlackBerry (with a third-party Exchange ActiveSync client) vs. Symbian (with Mail For Exchange) vs. webOS.

(By no means is WinMo perfect. The calendar is somewhat primitive, and when I recently rebuilt my account on a warranty replacement phone, a bunch of my appointments got duplicated. It also seems to randomly cause old reminders I have dismissed on Outlook 2003 to return days or weeks later.)

The other issue is the keyboard and navigation controls. It's a matter of personal taste, but I like a front-facing keyboard, application buttons, and I prefer a 5-way or D-pad controller to a trackball or wheel. Still waiting for the perfect phone.

Thanks
    Oh yeah, don't even get me started on the form factor! I don't think there is as much selection for phones in Canada as elsewhere (or we get them 6 mo- to a year later). Even so, I find ALL smartphones are pretty clunky. Its' not the size (in fact I'd frequently be happier with a longer phone), rather its' the candybar form that I don't love.
    (Oh, wait I just got started on the form factor )
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Thanks
    I have used Windows Mobile for quite a while, and maybe it is just my phone, ( I am now going on my 4th HTC replacement) but I intend at this point if the replacement phone on its way to me doesn't fare any better to go to a Blackberry.
    Using Active Sync, was a night mare. About half the time it wouldn't sync up. Now that I am using Windows Mobile Device Center it works a little better, but again the sync problems are there.
    Like I told Verizon yesterday, enough is enough.
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

Thanks
    Just in case anyone is curious. I made the leap last week and replaced my phone with an iPhone. Its my first apple product so there is a learning curve for me. But I like the way one navigates around the phone. Many of the basic tasks I perform seem to be accomplished in a much more direct fashion. The screen is larger and much easier to read. Its' the first smartphone I've worked with that I could envision giving to my parents.

You can sync Outlook calendars, contacts and email with the iPhone - using iTunes (a piece of software that I really don't care for). And I bought a $10 app to allow me to edit office documents (mostly I keep a vehicle mileage log in a spreadsheet).

Odd things are not editable - like the alerts one can set with the calendar. You get the one tune it repeats twice and that's it. Transferring files back and forth between the computer and the phone seems a bit clumsy to me right now - but much of this I suspect I can attribute to an apple vs windows design.
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Has anyone had any experience with the HTC Diamond Touch2? Be interested in feedback as I would like to replace both my current Samsung phone, and my IPAQ HX27xx and carry only one device.
    Keystone Province, Canada!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a new Samsung Intrepid with WinMo 6.5. It's a new phone so it has a few glitches and am waiting for updates, but nothing that would make me give up this phone. As for WinMo I had an older version on a Palm Treo which is why when looking for a new phone I wanted WinMo again. I use Excel and Word so that alone has made me loyal to it. It's also great to get my emails from various accounts. I've never had any problems with Active Sync on both my desktop and laptop runny XP.

Thanks
    Hi Jill, I'm a fellow Sprint customer, still using a Windows Treo (800w).

Quote Originally Posted by Jill Miller View Post
    I have a new Samsung Intrepid with WinMo 6.5.
    It looks like a reasonably well designed phone; could use a few more pixels. One of the odd changes in WinMo 6.5 was to remove the keyboard shortcuts from the revamped Start menu. I found this a little disorienting, as I am so used to pressing Start+i for IE, Start+e for media player, and so on. Perhaps someone will develop a hack or application for this before I get around to upgrading.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I would have to say that if you are in the Windows realm, Windows Mobile is the way to go. Developers have designed plenty of freeware converters so that you are not stuck with Outlook as your PIM. Android has me the most interested of all the existing mobile OS, but it still hasn't caught enough ground for me to purchase a new device to support it. The Blackberry, iPhone and Palm devices have always annoyed me because of the proprietary software and restrictive OS. I have used Windows Mobile since it was Windows CE and suffered through the pain, but I have software that was developed back then that has been upgraded (free of charge for the most part) that is still compatible.

I think until devices can run different OS, people are stuck with a limited path and upgrade option...and I don't see an x86 based standard (like ARM) across the board ever. There is just too much money for these companies.

I love my new HTC Touch Pro2 and after upgrading the ROM to 6.5.1, you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands

-John

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bonk View Post
    I love my new HTC Touch Pro2 and after upgrading the ROM to 6.5.1, you would have to pry it from my cold dead hands
    I would have continued with my HTC P4000, but Telus (or maybe HTC) were not offering 6.5 (I gather that at 2 + years of age it was too old to be a priority for upgrading). That plus the fact my keyboard was unreliable led me on a new phone search. I love the things one can do with a smartphone - but I have no loyalty to any particular OS/brand. I suspect when the iPhone's time is up, I'll be on the hunt again.
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been following the comments about the Moto Droid. Most people seems very happy with the Android O/S.
    A lot of the Android users are past WM users and most haven't looked back !!
    I guess the main feature is how the Android via a Linux O/S stores and open programs. You can have SEVERAL programs running at the same time WITH OUT A SLOW DOWN.
    Can you imagine going for weeks with out a soft reboot???
    I really don't use any Window programs on my I910 Omnia other than the O/S so I think I'll give up the slow wm 6.5 O/S for the Anrdoid 2.0 after the first of the year.

IMHO

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I currently have a Palm Treo Pro with WinMo 6.1. My next step will hopefully be HTC Touch Pro 2, anxious for my contract to come to a close.
    Jim Walton

417.310.9535 Gvoice
    ======
    James.Walton@GoogleWave.com
    JimWalton.org
    ChurchTechMatters.com
    ======
    Twitter.com/jimwalton
    Linkedin.com/in/jimwalton
    Facebook.com/jim.walton1

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I was recently due for a hardware upgrade through my cellular provider, and after tossing the idea of grabbing an iPhone or a different smartphone, Windows Mobile won.. I've technically been using Windows Mobile devices ever since they were released (remember the old WinCE H/PC units?)

Yes, they are quirky little devices that can crash, or otherwise be slow, but I like these devices because of how customizable they are. You can easily swap out completely new Today screens/shells and pretty much tweak any aspect of th phone to your liking. If you are really adventerous (like me), you can even try installing a custom ROM file which generally adds software features/user interfaces that don't come standard on your device.

My new phone is a Samsung Omnia II. I've had it for about 2 weeks now, and I absolutely love this phone. It's quite fast from a Windows Mobile point of view, and replacing Samsung's TouchWIZ interface with SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 has made this an amazing device.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My phone is a year-old Verizon Omnia running WinMo 6.1. As mentioned by Mr. Deveaux, tweaking the Today screens and playing with new interfaces and shells is very entertaining.

I also purchased SPB Mobile Shell 3.5 recently and think Samsung should have made this a standard interface. It really makes WinMo usable, fast, and fun.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave it some serious thoughts for quite a few months. Verizon just went nuts trying to get me to re-enlist for a new 2 yr contract. Finally, after all my research, I decided it was a no brainer..I chose Motorola Android version 2.01, offered by Verizon, over all the others. The open source apps and, the fantastic support from the community developing new apps seemingly by the minutes, plus the freedom of using what I chosed on my Motorola Android was the deciding force. The other day, I was showing off all the things that one can do with this unit..
    When,suddenly looking up, I said, "You know, it can make fone calls too~!!"...lol
    It's been a long time since I have felt so intuned with a product, but this is it~!! It's a super mini puter as well as a cellphone.
    I use it to..
    a. Surf the internet
    b. check email
    c. geocach
    d. GPS
    e. internet radio
    f. take movies
    g.take pictures and edit them with photoshop app.
    h. play games of all kinds..so much available, I will never even start.
    i. send text
    j make fone calls. Yes it does this too...lol
    k. use the office productive app. (compatable with windows~!!)
    l..read ebooks hundreds available for free and others for a small price.
    The list is almost endless~!!
    ciao

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast