New Lounger
    Thanks
    On XP, I was able to set taskmgr to start with the system, and run minimized in the tray - with a small green icon that would show the percentage of CPU resources being used at the moment - and you could click on the icon to see the full task mangager tabs and statistics. Is there any way to do this in Windows 7? The icons in the tray in XP would be animated - now, the icons don't seem to do anything - they just sit there. I can start task manager manually, and when I mimizie it, it goes to the task bar - but doesn't show anything.

David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by David Redfearn View Post
    On XP, I was able to set taskmgr to start with the system, and run minimized in the tray - with a small green icon that would show the percentage of CPU resources being used at the moment - and you could click on the icon to see the full task mangager tabs and statistics. Is there any way to do this in Windows 7? The icons in the tray in XP would be animated - now, the icons don't seem to do anything - they just sit there. I can start task manager manually, and when I mimizie it, it goes to the task bar - but doesn't show anything.

David
    I don't know how to do that with Task Manager. However, you can check out Process Explorer. It is free and you can configure it several ways. You can even have it replace Task Manager if you want.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    I don't know how to do that with Task Manager. However, you can check out Process Explorer. It is free and you can configure it several ways. You can even have it replace Task Manager if you want.

Joe
    Start Task Manager. Click "Options". Click "Hide when minimized." Then in Win 7 tray notification, make show "Show icon in tray" for task manager is checked.

WayneD

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by David Redfearn View Post

David
    Rather than having the full Task Manager running all the time you can get gadgets that will show how much CPU and Memory is being used, and you can then use Task Manager only when its necessary (it can be a bit of a resource hog in its own right).