New Lounger
    Thanks
    Jump lists on the taskbar are not working like the examples I've seen. I see no recent items at all. I can only pin two items to a jump list. The third pin just replaces a prior one. I have "Store and display recently open items in the Start menu and the taskbar" checked and number of recent programs set to 15 and number of pinned to 10. Also, recent programs was NOT working the start menu yesterday, but mysteriously started working today (after a reboot). The jump lists still show no recent items at all.

Any suggestions on how to fix this?

Further news on this. I tried WordPad and the jump list works just fine. The program I'm having the problem with is Office 2007 Excel. The one I use all the time where the jump list would actually be useful.
    I suspect it has something to do with using the prior version of Office. I plan to install the service pack for office- which I need to do anyway. Maybe this will fix it but it's not that likely.

Guess I'll have to live with this. But that's windows...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Can you post some links to these "examples" that you have seen?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Can you post some lonks to these "examples" that you have seen?
    What's a "lonk"?
    What color is it?
    Just kidding, Dave!
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    "The Lonk is a domestic sheep of a specific breed, found in the hills of the central and south Pennines, in the north of England."

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    What's a "lonk"?
    What color is it?
    Just kidding, Dave!
    The Lonk is a domestic sheep of a specific breed, found in the hills of the central and south Pennines, in the north of England. The name "Lonk" derives from the Lancashire word "lanky", meaning long and thin, usually in a person.[1] Their range extends into only two counties; Lancashire and Derbyshire. Also known as the Improved Haslingden, the Lonk is of the Blackfaced Mountain type, and is similar to the Derbyshire Gritstone, apart from the absence of horns in that breed.

Characteristically, Lonks have black-and-white faces and their long legs are well suited to the Pennine environment of rocky hills and peat bogs. They are extremely hardy. The Lonk is raised for carpet wool and for meat.[2] The breed was once farmed by monks at Whalley and Sawley Abbey. The Lonk Sheep Breeders' Association is based in Burnley, Lancashire. There were fears during the 2001 epidemic of foot-and-mouth disease in the UK that the Lonk breed would become extinct.

Sorry, no link to a lonk. And Hans beat me to it. Also from Wikipedia.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mdenison View Post
    Sorry, no link to a lonk. And Hans beat me to it. Also from Wikipedia.
    Hans always beats everyone to it

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Abraham View Post
    Jump lists on the taskbar are not working like the examples I've seen. I see no recent items at all. I can only pin two items to a jump list. The third pin just replaces a prior one. I have "Store and display recently open items in the Start menu and the taskbar" checked and number of recent programs set to 15 and number of pinned to 10. Also, recent programs was NOT working the start menu yesterday, but mysteriously started working today (after a reboot). The jump lists still show no recent items at all.

What programs are not working? The programs have to support a Recent Items list to have jump lists work.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    What programs are not working? The programs have to support a Recent Items list to have jump lists work.
    I'm not sure that's true, I get a jump list for Notepad and I'm pretty sure that doesn't have a recent items list.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    I'm not sure that's true, I get a jump list for Notepad and I'm pretty sure that doesn't have a recent items list.
    My mistake. You're correct. Must be some Windows 7 API used then as I have third party software that does not have jump list capability.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Hans always beats everyone to it
    You're stating the bleating obvious again.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    The jump lists are working fine on my system for Office 2002 programs - Word, Excel, Access. My current Excel jumplist had 14 "recent" items and one pinned item. I just pinned a couple more to verify that its working. If it works for 2002, it ought to work for 2007. In my Excel 2002, under Tools/Options/General, there is a checkbox to enable "Recently used file list", and a box for entering the number of recently used files to display. Perhaps you have this box unchecked?? (assuming the same option exists in 2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Abraham View Post

Further news on this. I tried WordPad and the jump list works just fine. The program I'm having the problem with is Office 2007 Excel. The one I use all the time where the jump list would actually be useful.
    I suspect it has something to do with using the prior version of Office. I plan to install the service pack for office- which I need to do anyway. Maybe this will fix it but it's not that likely.

Guess I'll have to live with this. But that's windows...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Lounger
    Thanks
    There is something strange about the way Excel handles jump lists: it's different to Word.

I'm using Office Basic 2003. I'm pretty sure all the documents I've handled so far were created by this edition of Office 2003 whilst running on XP or Vista.

In Word it is sufficient to open one of the old documents and it will appear on the jump menu.

Unlike Word, Excel does not show the document in the jump list if it's opened: Saving it won't cause it to appear. The first time it is saved it must be 'saved as' before it will appear in the jump list.

One other way of making a document appear in the jump list is to alter it and try to close without saving. After I get asked if I want to save the document, I click 'Save', and the document appears in the jump list.

Unfortunately, I cannot test this exhaustively as I have a limited supply of old excel documents. Please treat this as a partially tested idea.

A possible explanation would be that Excel is using a non-preferred saving method for some types of saving: e.g. 'Save'; but a preferred method for other types: e.g. 'Save As'.