2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    General question: My db has a many data entry forms, and several may require printing. I have made copies of the current forms, cleaned out the code, removed buttons, locked fields, etc, and made them a generic "printable" version. My questions is, should I be using true "forms" for this purpose, or should I use a report. My questions is related to which would have a bigger impact on the overall db file size, if any.

Thanks.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As objects, I believe the space required for forms and the space required for reports are about the same, though my hunch is that forms may take a bit more than reports, as most reports don't need a VBA module. The other aspect of your question is which is most suitable - and my take on that is that if you want to print something, a report is generally better than a form. For example reports have the ability to grow at several levels, and are better at doing things like page numbering and keepting data together on a page.
    Wendell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to Wendell's reply: reports also offer grouping and sorting, subtotals and running totals.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for both replies. You have made some good points that I need to take into consideration, especially the "grouping" and page numbering.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    FWIW, I'll throw in my 2 cents. Generally, I'd go with a report. There might be a few times you can just print the form, but the vast majority of the time a report is better.

For one thing, if you have tabs on the form, you will only print what is on the current page.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.