4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Evening -

What is the consensus for quoting an entire post? I can see the value in quoting the specific portion of a quote that is being addressed, but quoting the entire post just seems to take up real estate....

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I agree with you, I only quote the bit that is relevant, and I don't even do that when it should be obvious what I am replying to.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    What is the consensus for quoting an entire post?
    Quoting an entire post takes up too much space. I either quote one sentence (or the relevant part), or nothing at all.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    We see too many quoting the entire post, yes, and as you I don't like it and I never do it (unless itís only a sentence and not the first reply). And I don't think that we should remove the automatic quote (of the post being replied to), just because some have problems with editing their posts.

As we all know a quote can show who is being addressed and what is being addressed.

I think the following is sufficient, as you say:
    1. If your post is the first reply...
      • then a quote isn't needed, since for obvious reasons it is very clear who you are replying to.
      • but you want address a specific part of the original post, then quote just that part of the original post.
    2. If your post is not the first reply...
      • but it is obvious that you are addressing the OP, no quote is needed.
      • you can address someone with the member name or by quoting a specific portion of their post.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post

I think the following is sufficient, as you say:
    [list=A][*]If your post is the first reply...
    • then a quote isn't needed, since for obvious reasons it is very clear who you are replying to.
    • but you want address a specific part of the original post, then quote just that part of the original post.

I have a habit of just pulling out a section of the post and use the ... elipsis to show that I am paraphrasing. Experience proves that some quotations can get very, very long... hopefully the example above proves my point as a paraphrase.
    Jerry

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by curious View Post
    What is the consensus for quoting an entire post?
    So far, "don't do it!"

It is useful when there might be ambiguity about the subject of your post to quote a little bit of the one to which you are replying.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I have a habit of just pulling out a section of the post and use the ... elipsis to show that I am paraphrasing.
    Yes, elipsis [sic ] is very useful as well. I didn't mention that, but if one wants to be correct, since a quote can be taken out of context, it can be polite to show that.

As for paraphrasing; well you did indeed show how to paraphrase. Omitting the last [ /list ] gave a new meaning to the quote.