Thread: Active Posts

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    The thumbnail profile beside each of my posts currently shows 1571 posts, while my profile shows 1595 Active Posts. Is this difference intentional?
    Regards
    Don

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    My guess is that "active posts" in your profile is the number of posts by you that is currently present in the Lounge database, regardless of which forum they are in.

The post count displayed in your posts and in "Today's top 20 posters" and "Overall top posters" is the "historic" count where posts in Test Area and Scuttlebutt aren't counted and deleted posts aren't subtracted.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's a BIG change from the previous version of IPB and pretty meaningless (and unhelpful) in its present state. Not only do my numbers also reflect a different count, but if I try to view ALL my posts, it says I have 1,000 posts and that's as far back as it goes. Whereas with the previous IPB version I could see ALL of my posts, all the way back to 2001. May not be a big deal but it seems pretty useless in its present form.

Thanks
    This is a change from version 2. In version 2, the link in the profile was all-inclusive, while the search method was limited to 1000 posts. Perhaps this was changed to relieve load on the database (how many people who might click that link really want to page through 10,000 posts?).

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Al,
    This has been mentioned to the Support Admins et al. As you know there is a limit in search to 1,000 items, this was the case in the previous IPB version as well. But then you could find all your posts via your profile, as you say.

At the moment one can use the date interval in Advanced Search (in combination with member name); I know, a bit clunky, or VERY clunky if you post a lot.

As for Active Posts I haven't got a clue, I think Hans' guess is good, but then the Active Posts number would be larger. So I thought that perhaps it is including "all posts the recent 3 months (from the forums that are not counted, but still "active" )", or similar, but that doesn't seem to be correct either, but closer.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    ... how many people who might click that link really want to page through 10,000 posts?
    There was a time when someone wanted to find something he had posted several years ago and being able to bring up all his posts enabled him to jump quickly to the earliest pages and find the post. Rare I know, but still, it could happen.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    ... one can use the date interval in Advanced Search (in combination with member name) ...
    Way to go, Argus. That'll work - THANKS!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    As for Active Posts I haven't got a clue, I think Hans' guess is good, but then the Active Posts number would be larger.
    You can easily check that Active Posts is exactly the number of posts currently present in the database. Here is an example:

According to the member list, [member='pauliez'] has 440 posts:

[attachment=86639:x1.png]

You will also see this number in his mini-profile to the left of his posts:

[attachment=86640:x.png]

But his user profile says he has 566 active posts:

[attachment=86641:x2.png]

And if you click Find posts, you'll get 566 too:

[attachment=86642:x3.png]

By going to the last page, you can verify that there are really 566 posts by pauliez in the database at this moment.
    Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like there may be a few issues on some aggregate queries, primarily in the Sum of active posts. I'll look into what we can do to ensure that the results are accurate on the member lists and mini-profiles to make sure they are synchronized with the User Profile section.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    You can easily check that Active Posts is exactly the number of posts currently present in the database. Here is an example:
    [snip]
    Hans,
    Mmmm, yes, mmmm. I looked at it from another perspective, as you know; if over 1,000 items, it's no simple search, now.

I don't doubt that all posts are there, that's not the problem, and if fewer than 1,000 items it's a quick search, so let's look at the discrepancy.

Me, at the moment (Puzzles, Scuttlebutt and Test Area);
    Scuttlebutt: 89 (71)
    Puzzles: 3 (1)
    Test Area: 25 (25)
    Sum: 117 (97)

(I think I saw Active Posts in the user profile counting a test post, so that "works" (if that one is supposed to include all active, and I've seen it before.)

Discrepancy between user profile and mini-profile/member lists etc. = 91. Not counted posts: 117.

Then I thought that maybe it's only posts since the move to IPB (that are included in the "active posts" in the profile). Mentioned above in parenthesis, that's 97, still not 91.

So somehow, if the user profile's post count is supposed to include not counted then, at least for me, it should be a little bit larger. But this can perhaps be different for other members if deleted posts are also included in the equation... never knows.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Argus,

The the number of posts in the member list and mini profile is a strange mix: until the summer of 2005, it was increased by 1 each time you made a post. After that, posts in Test Area, Scuttlebutt and Pix Place (if I remember correctly) didn't contribute any more. Threads in those three forums were automatically deleted after a set period of time. However, posts deleted either by the user, by a moderator or automatically were not subtracted from the count.

So just before we moved from wwwthreads to IP.Board 2 in February 2009, the post count was not equal to the number of posts present in the database for most Loungers. It was only equal for those who had never posted in Test Area, Scuttlebutt or Pix Place and who had never deleted a post.

But during the move to IP.Board 2 all post counts were reset by accident to the number of posts present in the database at that time, including those in Test Area etc. For members who had posted a lot in the three forums mentioned above, the post count went down, sometimes dramatically (because most of those posts had been deleted automatically). For a few members who had only posted in those forums recently, so that their posts hadn't expired yet, the count went up slightly.

From then on, post counts increased again following the same rules as before. The result us the number displayed in your mini profile and in the member list.
    But the "full" user profile shows the actual current post count, disregarding the history and the 'rules' that are involved in the other number.