Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    [acronym=This is the first word of the sentence]The[/acronym] [acronym=Using the initial letters of words to create a a short form]acronym[/acronym] [acronym=A code used to control the lounge software]tag[/acronym] [acronym=In the V2 version of IPB]used[/acronym] to [acronym=like this, but with dots]include a dotted underline[/acronym], [acronym=maybe it was in the past, but sadly it is no longer]which was[/acronym] a [acronym=quite a lot actually]bit of[/acronym] a [acronym=a hint or suggestion that could help people]clue[/acronym] that it [acronym=more than might really, a definite probability]might be worth[/acronym] [acronym=moving the cursor to the word with your mouse and waiting]hovering[/acronym].

The sentence above gives no clue as to which word has an associated pop up. If I hadn't warned you, you might not have known to hover your mouse over every word to see.

Thanks
    Replying with your post quoted, and it looks like this:

[ quote name='StuartR' date=' 20 Nov 2009 17:12' timestamp='1258737148' post='804245']
    [ acronym=This is the first word of the sentence]The[ /acronym] [ acronym=Using the initial letters of words to create a a short form]acronym[ /acronym] [ acronym=A code used to control the lounge software]tag[ /acronym] [ acronym=In the V2 version of IPB]used[ /acronym] to [ acronym=like this, but with dots]include a dotted underline[ /acronym], [ acronym=maybe it was in the past, but sadly it is no longer]which was[ /acronym] a [ acronym=quite a lot actually]bit of[ /acronym] a [ acronym=a hint or suggestion that could help people]clue[ /acronym] that it [ acronym=more than might really, a definite probability]might be worth[ /acronym] [ acronym=moving the cursor to the word with your mouse and waiting]hovering[ /acronym].

The sentence above gives no clue as to which word has an associated pop up. If I hadn't warned you, you might not have known to hover your mouse over every word to see.
    [ /quote]

...which might be a bit confusing if you are trying to reply using the quoted text in context!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Brian and I were investigating the issue where the acronym tag was not producing a dotted underline. The underlying cause seems to be an issue in class='bbc', which we will investigate next week. I created a quick workaround by changing the definition of this in IP.Board individually.

Acronyms such as [acronym='Every Good Boy Does Fine']EGBDF[/acronym] should now work. We believe this is a configuration error in IP.Board version 3, which we updated the Lounge to on Oct. 30, 2009. That means posts between Nov. 1-20, 2009, may not display words styled as acronyms with a dashed underline. I did not go back to edit any such posts, but any posts you edit or create from now on should work.

I don't know what color the dashed underline was before, so I made it black, like the text. If there is some other color this dashed underline should be, please reply here to let me know.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm certainly not on the technical level of you fellas but I use the acronym tag in my Lounge signature to get my name to popup when someone hovers over my sig, which is in truth a link to my web site. [acronym='For What It's Worth']FWIW[/acronym] I don't see where a line of any kind would work in that circumstance, but I may be way off base. Sorry to chime in...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I don't see where a line of any kind would work in that circumstance, but I may be way off base.
    There may be a style conflict when an acronym tag is used inside a link, since they complete for the same space for the "underline." (The Lounge skin suppresses link underlining.)

Brian Livingston
    If we style an abbreviation as an acronym, and we also make that acronym the anchor text of a link, such as to the [acronym='Windows Secrets']WS[/acronym] home page, I see both styles correctly in my browser, Firefox 3. (In the preceding sentence, the abbreviation WS should be blue and clickable, a dashed line should appear underneath it, and a solid line should appear slightly above the dashed line when you hover your mouse over the WS.)

Kurt and I chose not to update all previous posts that contained the acronym tag, believing that the missing acronym style began only with the advent of IP.Board version 3 on Oct. 30, 2009. The behavior may be different in signatures. I can correctly see the tooltip "Al Hoffman" when I hover my mouse over his signature, however. Reply to this thread if you are seeing any other errant behavior. Thanks.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    [snip]
    I can correctly see the tooltip "Al Hoffman" when I hover my mouse over his signature, however. Reply to this thread if you are seeing any other errant behavior. Thanks.
    Al should answer that, but now I see a dotted line in Al's signature image.

I understand that the acronym tag perhaps isn't supposed to be used with images etc. but I used it when we moved to IPB in February to circumvent the lack of Alt text or Image title (or the lack of my understanding ) which do pop up when you hover over an image.

But apart from that, the acronym tag seems to work here, in [acronym='Firefox']Fx[/acronym] 3.5.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I'm certainly not on the technical level of you fellas but I use the acronym tag in my Lounge signature to get my name to popup....
    Can you use the 'alt' tag instead of an acronym?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Can you use the 'alt' tag instead of an acronym?
    Like Argus, I NOW see a dotted line in my sig which wasn't there before yesterday's "fix."

I don't remember all the details, but as Argus also said, it was earlier in the year when we first switched to IPB 2 that "someone" recommended I use the acronym tag because the alt tag wouldn't work. I'm not sure how to format it, but whatever happens, I'm gonna take the acronym tag out of my sig because I couldn't stand looking at the dotted line that's there now.

Was auch immer ...

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe someone could advise me whether this is fixable or not. If I don't have a popup, it ain't a big deal, but I'm trying anyway. In the raw HTML code for my signature is a title tag, evidently put there by the BB code, 'cause I didn't do it. It's an empty (title=" ") tag so I tried putting Al Hoffman in it, but upon saving, the BB code removes the name.

I've tried the alt tag and can't get that to work, but I may be putting it in the wrong place.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Continuing to fool with it. If I try to use the title tag inside the graphic tag, it seems to preview OK but as soon as I click Save Changes, that title is removed by the BB code (I guess).

[attachment=86668:2009-11-22_102414.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian Livingston
    The alt attribute in img tags only displays as a tooltip in IE 5/6/7. It does not display as a tooltip in IE 8, Firefox, or any other browser. The W3C defined the alt attribute as a value that would be displayed only if an image failed to load. This is explained in a May 7, 2009, blog post by Robert Nyman.

The title attribute of img tags is supposed to (and does) display as a tooltip in IE 8, Firefox, and every other browser. In the HTML of the Windows Secrets Newsletter, we manually edit in both alt and title attributes for every image. (We do this because the image will not display in e-mail clients with images disabled, a subscriber might want to hover over an image to see a short explanation, and blind subscribers want their software to be able to read aloud the description of the image.)

Please experiment with the alt and title attributes. If there is something IP.Board 3 is doing to munge these values, please start a new thread in the Suggestion Box forum to report it. Acronym tags are not intended for use on images, and the missing dashed underline beneath acronyms is a fixed issue. Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    ...the missing dashed underline beneath acronyms is a fixed issue...
    Thank you very much for the speedy resolution of this issue.