Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I attempted to flash the BIOS on an HP Mini and the computer dropped dead on the spot. The computer displays that it is connected to a power source with a solitary light, but the switch will not change the status of the computer. Does this mean the CPU is gone for good, and has taken the computer with it?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    I attempted to flash the BIOS on an HP Mini and the computer dropped dead on the spot. The computer displays that it is connected to a power source with a solitary light, but the switch will not change the status of the computer. Does this mean the CPU is gone for good, and has taken the computer with it?
    Was this an HP released BIOS flash?
    Did you flash from a CD?
    Is the CPU a newer or older chip, single or dual? For example, my Intel CPU has a dual BIOS arrangement that can be accessed at boot up and retains two copies of the BIOS at all times.
    Most flash BIOS programs have a fallback method, to restore the old BIOS if the the new flash failed.
    See what HP has to say if all else fails.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post
    Did you flash from a CD?
    Is the CPU a newer or older chip, single or dual? For example, my Intel CPU has a dual BIOS arrangement that can be accessed at boot up and retains two copies of the BIOS at all times.
    Most flash BIOS programs have a fallback method, to restore the old BIOS if the the new flash failed.
    HP, yes. Specifically Windows 7 compatible, but Windows 7 was already installed (by me) and working well.

I am virtually certain that I flashed from the hard drive, but there is a remote possibility that it was from USB stick. (No CD drive on that computer.)

Atom CPU (1 GB RAM). Purchase date was August 1 this year, flash executable was dated August, so it must have been more recent than what was installed.

I will definitely ask HP, but thought I'd ask here first.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by viking33 View Post

HP won the day, all within the span of a half-hour at most I think. This was for me the most helpful service call ever, and I was sure the computer was gone for good.

The secret was to unplug the power, remove the battery, keep pressing the 'off' slider for 30 seconds (to discharge the capacitors), then power up with tapping F10 to get the BIOS screen, make the appropriate changes, and thenF9, with several boots, and all is now back to normal, or rather better than it ever was given that I was applying updates when I ran into trouble in the first place. All it took was a phone call, and I am extremely happy at the result.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    HP won the day, all within the span of a half-hour at most I think. This was for me the most helpful service call ever, and I was sure the computer was gone for good.

The secret was to unplug the power, remove the battery, keep pressing the 'off' slider for 30 seconds (to discharge the capacitors), then power up with tapping F10 to get the BIOS screen, make the appropriate changes, and thenF9, with several boots, and all is now back to normal, or rather better than it ever was given that I was applying updates when I ran into trouble in the first place. All it took was a phone call, and I am extremely happy at the result.
    Glad it worked out for you, Peter.
    I've found that HP's on line live chat works out rather well. It certainly clears up the language accents misunderstandings.
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!