Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Not computer related, but uses technology...
    I wonder if others have seen this and, I hope, no one has fallen for it.
    Does this go on outside of the U.S. ?

Here's the situation. I have a timeshare for rent in the Bahamas. I was e-mailed by someone indicating their interested in renting it.
    I asked them to send me a certified check for the December rental. Before it arrived, the person sent me an "I'm sorry for the delay." e-mail saying that (a) her mother was in a bad car accident (I guess that was to get my sympathy) and (b) her husband's company was going to pay for the rental as a wedding gift (wasn't that nice?).

They claim they live in Nevada. Today a "next day air" UPS delivery arrived. The UPS was sent from a UPS store in California. Hmmm.
    The check was from a University in Tennessee (more hmmm). Overlapping the arrival of the check, I had another email from the prospective renters saying that the employer (they never said it was a University in TN) wrote the check for not only the rental but also a meals and entertainment allowance. The check was for, get this, $2000 more they it should have been. Additional HMMM. Would I please deposit the check and Western Union the additional money their travel agent in, here we go again, FLORIDA? Let's see, these people live in NV, work for a University in TN, send a business check (didn't follow my instructions of certified) from CA, and want the excess funds sent to FL. WOW.

Why does this work on the naive? Because it all sounds so good. But, there's yet another reason it works. I made SIX, count 'em, SIX telephone calls to consumer fraud, state attorney, county attorney, and the state police...sometimes more than one call to different people in one of these government offices. NO ONE was able to handle the issue. I also called the bank named in the check and learned that yesterday they had 40 similar calls and today I was the 26th caller. At least others are trying to confirm the validity of the deal. But, since the bank wasn't out any money, they weren't doing anything from their security department either.

I still have the place for rent, if anyone's interested in details...and, considering the ease with which one can pull off this nonsense, I'm thinking of selling a bridge that I own, but it's in England. Anyone interested in a bridge?

Best thing is to pass along this scam attempt to your friends so that they don't fall for this nonsense.

Thanks
    Is the bridge made of stone or steel?
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kweaver View Post
    Not computer related, but uses technology...
    I wonder if others have seen this and, I hope, no one has fallen for it.
    Does this go on outside of the U.S. ?
    It's a fairly prevalent scam, with many variants. See, for example, this version in Snopes.
    And the apathy of the enforcement agencies is also typical, probably because it takes a lot of effort to investigate this sort of thing and they are targeted on 'quick wins'.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to shatter any illusions, but:-

The guy that bought London Bridge knew what he was buying, he came over and inspected it many times and even to oversee the numbering of each stone as it was removed for rebuilding in the US. Because the myth has been perputuated so widely it now makes a small fortune as a tourist attraction (or so the telly said the other night).

:-)
    Cheers

Steve

Asking the questions everbody wants the answers too but feels too stupid to ask themselves :-)

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Is the bridge made of stone or steel?
    It's a steal bridge.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    It's a steal bridge.
    Or a no-bridge...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Or a no-bridge...
    Yes, I heard.
    I remember driving around Shap and Kendall 11 years ago and seeing large trucks parked on the side of the road, the winds were so strong.
    Boy Scouts were being helicoptered out of their camp sites.
    It gets pretty rough up there.
    I seem to recall too that both the Trent and Severn were flooded.
    I spent 6 days driving around England in a rented car and went for a short walk only on the Thursday afternoon.
    I was happy to board the plane home, a chance to stretch my legs .....

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stevehocking View Post
    Sorry to shatter any illusions, but:-

The guy that bought London Bridge knew what he was buying, he came over and inspected it many times and even to oversee the numbering of each stone as it was removed for rebuilding in the US. Because the myth has been perputuated so widely it now makes a small fortune as a tourist attraction (or so the telly said the other night).

:-)
    My recollection of the situation was that there was a lot of disappointment as many Americans had a picture of Tower bridge in their mind when discussing London bridge.
    Regards
    Don

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kweaver View Post
    I still have the place for rent, if anyone's interested in details...and, considering the ease with which one can pull off this nonsense, I'm thinking of selling a bridge that I own, but it's in England. Anyone interested in a bridge?
    You can keep the bridge, but I'll swap you an all-expenses-paid month in your holiday shack for a share in a funny-looking tower I own in Paris.

Alan

Lounger
    Thanks
    Better yet, I'll swap ya some swampland in Arizona.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    I seem to recall too that both the Trent and Severn were flooded.
    Trent and Severn in England? I'll bet they named those after the Trent-Severn waterway here in Ontario, which you can see on Google Earth (with poor resolution and mixed seasons), and you can compare distances. (Georgian Bay at one end, and Lake Ontario at the other.) You can also see the Peterborough Lift Lock in Widipedia, which is a part of the system. They probably named Warsaw in Poland after our local Warsaw, and Brooklyn NY after the the Brooklyn in Ontario, and so on. No imagination at all.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I've got a tunnel, if anyone is interested. Ehm, it's a bit difficult to move it, however. But it's very nice!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    ... it's a bit difficult to move it, however. But it's very nice!
    Never mind that all that.
    DOES IT HAVE A LIGHT AT ONE END?

Thanks
    If so, it's probably an oncoming train.
    Regards,

NotQuite, Not So Damp In Lotus Land

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Never mind that all that.
    DOES IT HAVE A LIGHT AT ONE END?
    Better still; it has light at both ends. Happy start, happy ending, in between it's illusorily, eh, no I mean illuminated.