New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi folks,

I'd like to get a discussion going on how to get more out of having multiple monitors on Windows machines. I think many of us have done the "out of the shrinkwrap" two monitors setup, with Extending the Windows Desktop making the work space very Cinerama-like... wider and wider.

So I'm sitting here on my VISTA laptop, external VGA wide format monitor and the laptop as an extended workspace, and already I see I need some help...

1. Can I convince VISTA (or XP, because I have several systems here in the family) to extend the desktop in any other direction? The laptop sits in the keyboard, tray, the other display on the desk behind it, and "extend up" rather than "extend right" would be really handy. Kinda counter-intuitive to drag mouse to right to make things go up...

2. Any easy way to make the mouse "bounce" from one screen to the other, like with a hotkey or a tilt-a-wheel in the mouse, or an alt-rightclick? I'm beginning to see that if each screen is a kind of workspace "context," and making the display surface bigger is just helping me see more of my work at once, being able to bounce between contexts could be cool. The Alt-Tab to switch active windows doesn't take the mouse with it, for example... any way to select that kind of behavior?

3. Other ideas? I'm not ready to buy hardware /software solutions, like DisplayLink's USB display technology, which does look really cool. But after all, why spend money if I don't have to, yet?

4. Network sharing of displays. Well, how easy or difficult would it be to let that virtual wallpaper be shared by multiple network users?

Thoughts, help, advice, ideas, all welcome,

Cheers,
    mike

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    About 1: the Settings tab of the Display Properties control panel lets you drag the monitors around to specify their relative positions:

[attachment=86666:dual_monitor_props.gif]

Depending on the graphics cards, there may be more specific options by clicking Advanced.

(The above picture is for XP, it's slightly different but still similar for Vista and 7)

About 2: you might try out Multi Monitor Mouse (free)

Attached Images Attached Images

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hans, thanks that reply.

This must be one of those "duh-OH" moments... I never thought about just dragging and dropping the monitor images like that, and it worked a treat! (Of course, now I have to reach off in limbo and retrieve the documents I left off on the right...)

Multimouse is quite cool, thank you also for that! I will play with all of this and keep you all posted.

Cheers,
    Mike