Thanks
    Is it possible to send short messages from one Win 7 computer to another when both are networked together in a Homegroup? I remember MS removed some messaging service in XP or Vista (maybe both) because it was used to send pop-up spam.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    Is it possible to send short messages from one Win 7 computer to another when both are networked together in a Homegroup? I remember MS removed some messaging service in XP or Vista (maybe both) because it was used to send pop-up spam.

Windows Collaboration is a feature in Vista that I read, and I can't recall with certainty my source (I thought it was Ed Bott's book, Windows Inside Out), that 'no one much used because they didn't know what to make of it', but that it was in reality a peer-to-peer (for which read naughty) application. Do a few web searches on peer-to-peer or P2P and you will learn something of the hornet's nest that is, and if my recollection of my source is correct then that is exactly what Windows Collaboration amounted to. As for what you can (or could) do or not do within a workgroup with an industrial strength firewall, I don't really know but wish I did. This is a good question, and I will follow your thread with interest.

Thanks
    Just to clarify my question a little... what I am asking about is the facility to broadcast a short message such as "Server down for maintenance" to everyone in the Homegroup or an individual message to one member of the group. HTH
    Regards,
    PaulB

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Just to clarify my question a little... what I am asking about is the facility to broadcast a short message such as "Server down for maintenance" to everyone in the Homegroup or an individual message to one member of the group. HTH
    It is certainly the sort of thing that is done all the time if you have a Windows Exchange setup, and if you have a server and enough client workstations that is the sort of setup I would expect to see. Slipstick is the forum in which to ask about that sort of thing. My own concerns are with data rather than messages, and keeping things in sync, and messages other than email are out of my depth.

Thanks
    I suspect that
    Code:
    NET SEND {name  *  /DOMAIN[:name]  USERS} message
    in a Command Prompt window won't do anything for you? We had to stop 'inquisitive/pestilential users' doing that in NT 3.51...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I suspect that
    Code:
    NET SEND {name  *  /DOMAIN[:name]  USERS} message
    in a Command Prompt window won't do anything for you? We had to stop 'inquisitive/pestilential users' doing that in NT 3.51...
    Thanks for the suggestion. Gave it a try but either I'm missing something or the SEND option of the NET command no longer exists. Maybe you were not the only admin with 'inquisitive/pestilential users'!
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Thanks for the suggestion. Gave it a try but either I'm missing something or the SEND option of the NET command no longer exists. Maybe you were not the only admin with 'inquisitive/pestilential users'!
    Yep! It seems to have gone in Windows 7 - but worth a try to see if it's lurking in the code, but with no Help info? I'll try when I get to work...
    BATcher

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hmmn, how about Send message in the Task manager's Users tab (right-click a user or use the button)? Can't check that at the moment (shouldn't that need some "Messenger service" as well...). And for Vista (that, I definitely can't check) it seems you had to "elevate" the Task Manager (Show processes from all users, Processes tab) before you could use it.

You are correct that the Messenger service became disabled by default in Windows XP SP2; and you'll need that one running for NET SEND.

Thanks
    Yep! It seems to have gone in Windows 7 - but worth a try to see if it's lurking in the code, but with no Help info? I'll try when I get to work...
    No, NET SEND won't run at all in Windows 7.
    In Vista, it was replaced by MSG - but this isn't in Windows 7 either!
    When I right-click on a user in Windows 7 Task Manager, clicking on Send Message in the drop-down menu gives no result, and the Send Message button at the bottom is greyed out. I don't know why that is, and haven't found anything on Google.
    BATcher

Thanks
    Looks like MS wants us all to live in the dark...
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    No, NET SEND won't run at all in Windows 7.
    In Vista, it was replaced by MSG - but this isn't in Windows 7 either!
    When I right-click on a user in Windows 7 Task Manager, clicking on Send Message in the drop-down menu gives no result, and the Send Message button at the bottom is greyed out. I don't know why that is, and haven't found anything on Google.
    MSG exist on my Win7 Ultimate machine. It could be as in Vista where MSG exists only on Pro, Ultimate & Enterprise versions. Some further searching suggests MSG can only be used in a domain environment.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    MSG exist on my Win7 Ultimate machine.

Joe
    MSG is not recognized on my Home Premium version.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    Hmmn, how about Send message in the Task manager's Users tab (right-click a user or use the button)? Can't check that at the moment (shouldn't that need some "Messenger service" as well...). And for Vista (that, I definitely can't check) it seems you had to "elevate" the Task Manager (Show processes from all users, Processes tab) before you could use it.

You are correct that the Messenger service became disabled by default in Windows XP SP2; and you'll need that one running for NET SEND.
    Your response raises two questions:

1- Should a user on another machine in a Homegroup appear in the User list of Task Manager on my machine?

2- Did the Messenger service become disabled (which implies it can be re-enabled) or was it eliminated and is no longer available? I can't see any service resembling Messenger in the list of services.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    MSG is not recognized on my Home Premium version.
    MSG.EXE is only available in the Windows 7 versions that support domains.

Check out these alternatives:

Net Send GUI, Net Send Command-line Tool (freeware) - FOMINE SOFTWARE
    Sent - send "net send" messages from command line of Vista/XP/2000/98. Free program, compatible with WinPopup, messenger service, net send
    Net send Vista? Netsend cmd Windows XP replacement tool.

I don't know about any of these so I can't give an opinion. The first two are free.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Thanks, Joe. I'll look into these.
    Regards,
    PaulB