3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi
    Iím using Microsoft Office Word Document Object to link data from a bookmark (my source) on one document to another document, inside of a header (target). Everything links up good. The problem Iím having is I canít seem to make my link fields smaller without affecting my font, is there any way to reduce the size of the link field without affecting the size of the font.
    I no there is no way I can change the formatting of the text in the target document using this method I just wasnít sure about the link field it self.
    What Iím trying to accomplish is to close up the spacing within the header, any suggestions
    Review picture below
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks like you've used Paste Special as a Word object.
    Try pasting as unformatted text instead. You can then format the linked text in the target document the way you want, independently of the source document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I’ve tried this method before and all I got was an error message “Error! Not a valid link” because my target link is within a header and the document has protection (Form fields within) I was unable to use this method it would not refresh link. I like that method, but just was unable to use.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry, I can't explain that - I have no problems pasting a link as unformatted text in a header or footer, and it updates correctly.

Perhaps you should try to create the link again.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Sorry, I can't explain that - I have no problems pasting a link as unformatted text in a header or footer, and it updates correctly.

Perhaps you should try to create the link again.
    Hi HansV
    I believe i found out why you had no problem and I did. I tried it a few different ways to see what might be happening and found out that if my data source is within a table (and of course mine is) that it will not update, but if data source it is not within a table it updates just fine in a header.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think that is the cause of your problem. I just now tried it with some text in a table cell in the source document. It still updated correctly when pasted as a link as unformatted text in the header of another document.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi HansV
    Iím scratching my head on this one. I tried again with a few different approaches, I had no such luck. I even attempted with applying the target inside and outside of the header at the same time and the target link outside the header updates perfect and I still receive and error message within the header on the other link. As I mentioned earlier, I can link it as a object, no problem, itís just the spacing issue that I was having. I thank you for your time. Iíll mess around with it a little more and try and see whatís happening.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi HansV
    I have tried numerous ways of applying link fields and have noticed that if I have a password protection applied on a document (Form fields, filling in forms) which I do have. The formatted and unformatted links will not update, but a Microsoft Office Word Document Object would update with or without protection applied. Since the documents that I use have and need document protection because of the form field that are used throughout document, would it be a good idea to remove document protection, then apply some code on opening of document that will update links, then apply need document protection, that way I could get needed update and protection.
    Maybe something like this when opening
    Code:
    Set worddoc = Documents.Open(ThisDocument.Path & "\Inspection Reports\Utilities.docm")
    worddoc.Windows(1).Activate
        ActiveDocument.Unprotect "password here"
        Call UpdateAllFields
        ActiveDocument.Protect wdAllowOnlyFormFields, NoReset:=True, Password:="password here"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It's worth a try.