New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've hardwired an older computer to my cable internet. It looks like it is sending, because the little picture diagram shows info sent but it doesn't look like it's receiving. When I go to repair the connection I get the following:

Repair Connection
    The following steps of the repair operation failed:
    Renewing the IP address
    Refreshing all DHCP leases and re-registering DNS names.

Please contact your network administrator or ISP

I contact my ISP they say it's a Windows or hardware problem. I contact Microsoft and they say it's a hardware problem. I contact HP and they say it's my ISP's problem. ??? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Lisa

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Can you explain a bit more about what you actually did, and what equipment you have. You say you "hardwired" something to the cable internet. I am guessing that this means you connected your computer, using a standard Ethernet cable, to a box supplied by your cable provider.

Exactly what box does your cable internet provider give you to connect to? Include as much detail as you can of the exact make and model number.
    Exactly what sort of cable did you use to connect to the box?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Computer is an HP running Windows 98 connected to a Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard Cable Modem supplied by Bresnan. This is going to a Model WRT546 Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 24GHZ. This wireless router supplies 4 laptops(not all running at the same time). And yes I'm using a cable supplied by Bresnan since when I tried to use a Wireless USB for the computer Bresnan gave me the cable and said it was the Wireless USB problem.

That's all I know...not "that" computer savy.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by serenity921asil View Post
    Computer is an HP running Windows 98 connected to a Motorola SB5100 SurfBoard Cable Modem supplied by Bresnan. This is going to a Model WRT546 Linksys Wireless-G Broadband Router 24GHZ. This wireless router supplies 4 laptops(not all running at the same time). And yes I'm using a cable supplied by Bresnan since when I tried to use a Wireless USB for the computer Bresnan gave me the cable and said it was the Wireless USB problem.

That's all I know...not "that" computer savy.
    Acording to the user guide for the cable modem, which can be found here, this only has a single Ethernet connector. If you have a WRT546 connected to the cable modem then you wouldn't be able to directly connect a computer as well.

There is also a USB connection on the cable modem, so you may have connected the computer via USB. If you did this then you also need to install software that supports this. Have you installed this software?

Can you please explain a bit more about which connector on the modem is connected to which other device.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi. If you are still having the problem, then I'd try rebooting the network all together. Disconnect all the cables connected to the modem then up plug both the modem and your Linksys router from power. Wait about a minute. In this order, connect the cable to your modem then plug your modem power cable back in. Next connect the cable from the modem to the router then plug your router's power cord back in. Without your computer running, plug the cable from your router to your computer and now boot your compter. Good luck