4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi

This is strange. I get error 75 when trying to save (SaveAs) a document in a macro, which is docOld.SaveAs FileName:=sFullFilename. This code is actually pretty old and works fine. Not sure why it happens though. I have checked the standard stuff - permissions, disk space, etc & everything looks fine.

It only happens on certain PCs. The same file is fine on my PC at work but at home it fails with error 75. Some other people have reported the same error on different documents but I can't figure out why.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Robie

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by robie View Post
    I get error 75 when trying to save (SaveAs) a document in a macro, which is docOld.SaveAs FileName:=sFullFilename.
    What is error 75 in English?

Could the file exist AND be in use? (If it just exists, presumably it will be overwritten.)

In testing on the home PC, could there be a problem with the path or mapped drive?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    From the Word 2003 VBA Help:

"During a file-access or disk-access operation, for example, Open, MkDir, ChDir, or RmDir, the operating system couldn't make a connection between the path and the file name. This error has the following causes and solutions:
    • The file specification isn't correctly formatted. A file name can contain a fully qualified (absolute) or relative path. A fully qualified path starts with the drive name (if the path is on another drive) and lists the explicit path from the root to the file. Any path that isn't fully qualified is relative to the current drive and directory.
    • You attempted to save a file that would replace an existing read-only file. Change the read-only attribute of the target file or save the file with a different file name.
    • You attempted to open a read-only file in sequential Output or Append mode. Open the file in Input mode or change the read-only attribute of the file.
    • You attempted to change a Visual Basic project within a database or document. You can't make design changes to the project.
    For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in Windows) or HELP (on the Macintosh)."

A problem with the path seems most likely.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post

Could the file exist AND be in use? (If it just exists, presumably it will be overwritten.)

In testing on the home PC, could there be a problem with the path or mapped drive?
    My apologies. I meant to include a snapshot of the error but forgot - Doh!. Also, I am at work now & was trying this at home so don't have snapshot (will include the snapshot as soon as possible). The funny thing, the same document is fine here at work! So, my guess it that is related to some other local issue *not* related to the document itself. Someone else has reported the same error.

Anyway, the code that fails is as follows:
    Code:
    docOld.SaveAs FileName:=sFullFileName           ' Save the converted document
    All SaveAs command returns error 75 with the description of 'File/Path access error'. Nothing else.

The file/path is as follows: "P:\Document Group\Templates\Training Templates\temporary\VF030_CTAC_Notes.doc". I don't see anything wrong with the path.
    Thanks.
    Robie

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    From the Word 2003 VBA Help:

"During a file-access or disk-access operation, for example, Open, MkDir, ChDir, or RmDir, the operating system couldn't make a connection between the path and the file name. This error has the following causes and solutions:
    • The file specification isn't correctly formatted. A file name can contain a fully qualified (absolute) or relative path. A fully qualified path starts with the drive name (if the path is on another drive) and lists the explicit path from the root to the file. Any path that isn't fully qualified is relative to the current drive and directory.
    • You attempted to save a file that would replace an existing read-only file. Change the read-only attribute of the target file or save the file with a different file name.
    • You attempted to open a read-only file in sequential Output or Append mode. Open the file in Input mode or change the read-only attribute of the file.
    • You attempted to change a Visual Basic project within a database or document. You can't make design changes to the project.
    For additional information, select the item in question and press F1 (in Windows) or HELP (on the Macintosh)."

A problem with the path seems most likely.
    Thanks Hans. I read that too on the Microsoft site. I am just calling a SaveAs command, which I know is correct & has been working for past 3 years.

I have looked at permissions (i.e. the document is not ready only & it doesn't exist, etc), disk space, memory, etc, etc & they all look fine to me.
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    But does the path P:\Document Group\Templates\Training Templates\temporary exist when you're at home?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    But does the path P:\Document Group\Templates\Training Templates\temporary exist when you're at home?
    Short answer is Yes. Same set up at home as at work (i.e. for testing purposes).
    Thanks.
    Robie

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid I have no idea then. Sorry!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm afraid I have no idea then. Sorry!
    Fixed.

Ok with bit more investigation (actually trial and error), at least on my PC found that if I accepted all tracked changes then I did not get error 75 when saving the document as. Strange!. Perhaps, it is due to the memory but 2gb should have been enough. I think this fix probably for my local PC only - I don't think it is a general fix. So, now if it comes up again then will have to look into other area for a fix.

Thank you all for your inputs.
    Thanks.
    Robie