Thanks
    I'm looking for a screensaver which, instead of the user having to retype their domain password to return to where they were - "on resume, password protect", requires them to press a specific key or key-combination.

It's for use in a semi-public area where it would cause considerably annoyance for the person who is not continuously present at their PC to have to retype a domain password each time the screensaver cuts in, but where pressing one or two keys would be acceptable.

(I've tried to think of an appropriate Google search, but so far my attempts have failed miserably...!)
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I'm looking for a screensaver which, instead of the user having to retype their domain password to return to where they were - "on resume, password protect", requires them to press a specific key or key-combination.

It's for use in a semi-public area where it would cause considerably annoyance for the person who is not continuously present at their PC to have to retype a domain password each time the screensaver cuts in, but where pressing one or two keys would be acceptable.
    I suppose a 2-character password is out of the question?

Is it for the same person logging in each time? How about a fingerprint reader? - probably no key presses at all! You can get them integrated into mice too nowadays...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    I suppose a 2-character password is out of the question?

Is it for the same person logging in each time? How about a fingerprint reader? - probably no key presses at all! You can get them integrated into mice too nowadays...
    If you can show me a system which allows a password of two characters, then I'll show you Windows for Workgroups 3.11! For WS2003, six characters is the minimum, AFAICR.

I suppose I should have included the word 'free' somewhere along the line - I'm afraid that a couple of 39 mice isn't really what I've been asked to find...
    BATcher

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    A password of one or two characters isn't very safe anyway - it'd be very easy for an onlooker to see that pressing "X" unlocks the PC. So why not turn off password protection for the screensaver? The user would only have to move the mouse or press the "any" key to discard the screensaver...

Thanks
    I suppose I should have included the word 'free' somewhere along the line..........
    Well, if you want cheap, just put a picture of a BSOD as the screen saver without any password protection. No-one in their right mind is going to want to get involved with a pc showing that...

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Well, if you want cheap, just put a picture of a BSOD as the screen saver without any password protection. No-one in their right mind is going to want to get involved with a pc showing that...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    A password of one or two characters isn't very safe anyway - it'd be very easy for an onlooker to see that pressing "X" unlocks the PC. So why not turn off password protection for the screensaver? The user would only have to move the mouse or press the "any" key to discard the screensaver...
    Has the point been missed, perhaps? The intention is that when the PC user leaves his PC, then the screensaver cuts in after a couple of minutes so that compromising data is hidden when any onlooker onlooks during the absence of the user. When the onlooker has been shooed away, then the real user upon his return can press the couple of characters of the screensaver password and return to working the PC... It's a sort of Data Protection Act thing.

I had forgotten about the Blue Screen screensaver, and am mildly surprised that Microsoft didn't 'kill' it when Mark joined them!
    BATcher

Thanks
    Has the point been missed, perhaps? The intention is that when the PC user leaves his PC, then the screensaver cuts in after a couple of minutes so that compromising data is hidden when any onlooker onlooks during the absence of the user.
    How far away? If the user is going out of Bluetooth range, you can use a commercial device or an open source program to lock the machine when the "user" signal is lost. The commercial device (can't find a link at the moment) comes with a USB dongle and a small transmitter you put in your pocket. The free software is often used with mobile phones. However, you probably have a variety of options (e.g., wireless mouse).