4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have noticed over the last few weeks that even if I check the box to be notified by email when there is a reply to my topic, I no longer get one. I have to go back to the lounge and physically check. I know this is no big deal but the email notifications were a pleasant convenience. Is it a bug with the new look lounge?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    I have noticed over the last few weeks that even if I check the box to be notified by email when there is a reply to my topic, I no longer get one. I have to go back to the lounge and physically check. I know this is no big deal but the email notifications were a pleasant convenience. Is it a bug with the new look lounge?

I was just about to post something on this very subject when I noticed your post philkiwi, but I too would like to see such a notification. You're one step ahead of me though, because I've still not found any such option to check requesting the notifications in the first place. . . .functional or no. :-(

David E. Cann

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by decann View Post
    I was just about to post something on this very subject when I noticed your post philkiwi, but I too would like to see such a notification. You're one step ahead of me though, because I've still not found any such option to check requesting the notifications in the first place. . . .functional or no. :-(

When you post a topic you will find, below the area to upload an attachment, a line called Options amd a green arrow to click to configure post options. (in my case it says I am currently receiving email notification of replies.). Strangely, I received an email notification of your response so maybe it is working spasmodically.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You can specify that every thread in which you participate should be followed, and how you should be notified, by clicking Settings, then Forums:

[attachment=86710:x.png]

Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: png x.png (19.3 KB, 5 views)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    You can specify that every thread in which you participate should be followed, and how you should be notified, by clicking Settings, then Forums:

[attachment=86710:x.png]
    Thank you for that, Hans. I have followed your suggestion and saved my settings, but shouldn't my previous habit of asking for email notifications separately each time I posted a topic had the same effect? For some time, it hasn't. But the last two times it has worked. Maybe the bug has been ironed out.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    but shouldn't my previous habit of asking for email notifications separately each time I posted a topic had the same effect?
    It should, but that's a question for the admins.

Brian Livingston
    The wording in IP.Board 3 about e-mail notifications is confusing. As HansV has pointed out, notification of replies to your posts is configured in Settings, Forums. Two of the options are:

Immediate Notification. This should say Multiple Notifications. If there are 10 replies after you post in a thread, you get 10 e-mails, even if you are currently signed in. That could be a lot of e-mails.

Delayed Notification. This should say Single Notification. Ten minutes after your last click, you get 1 e-mail, whether there are 1, 10, or N replies. That seems more reasonable to me.

Two other options are Daily Digest and Weekly Digest. These terms seem clear. However, the formatting of these e-mails is atrocious and will be cleaned up (this is scheduled to occur within five days).

Fixing the Immediate/Delayed terminology wherever it appears is a high priority of the developers. However, text in the help system may need to be made consistent with these terms in Settings, Forums. In addition, we are updating the FAQ page (also in the next five days) and must use identical terms.

If you've selected Immediate or Delayed notification and you don't receive an e-mail for every reply or for the first reply after 10 minutes of inactivity please start a new thread in the Suggestion Box. If you can document how you enabled the setting, and how long it was before you received notice of a reply, that would be helpful.

There may be a timing issue in IP.Board 3.0.4, related to the one that is preventing the "no new posts" icons on the Lobby page from updating immediately. The issue might prevent a notification from going out right at the 10-minute point, for example. If so, this glitch is supposed to be corrected when we (and every other IPB 3 client) receive the promised .5 patch. We don't yet know when that will be.

Brian Livingston
    The descriptions of the various e-mail notification options have now been clarified. Please see the before and after examples in Post 768643.