2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been looking through the 'setting up a rule' in Outlook 2007 to send a text message to my mobile phone, when I receive an email from a particular sender, and with particular words in the subject.

I found where to set up the sender and subject part, but I don't see where to insert my phone number???

Do you have to run a script or command? If so how do you set this up?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Thanks
    Do you have a suitable account with an ISP or mailserver that will send the message to a telephone number? I don't think it is that straightforward - you normally have to pay for this kind of service. For example, see http://www.textmagic...ts/email-to-sms.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do.

I have a Blackberry and I receive anywhere from 20 to 75 emails everyday. To set an audible alert for every email that comes in is nerve racking, aggrevating, disruptive, "boy that cried wolf"-- yada yada yada...

Accident reports are urgent and need immediate attention, sometimes these are emailed and voice notification, although required, doesn't always happen.

I want to send a text message to my Blackberry so that upon receipt of one of these accident reports I can get this audible alert.

We just switched from Novell Groupwise to Outlook at my company. This could be done in Groupwise. I just don't see the right combination in Outlook.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In addition to clarify; I don't need the email forwarded, I just want an audible alert that the email has been received.

Thanks

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    You don't need a service to send text messages from Outlook, at least for major providers in the USA - see Send SMS or Text Messages to Cellular Phones.
    But I think a script is needed to send a custom message to another address, instead of forwarding the incoming message. I can't help with that.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Yes, I use ATT.

The problem is, in Outlook, I don't see how to make Outlook send the text message, when I receive an email from a particular address.

P.S--All accident rports are sent o one address then automatically forwarded to me and others.

Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Instead of a rule, you might use an event procedure for the ItemAdd event. The code in the attached text file should go into the ThisOutlookSession module under Microsoft Outlook Objects in the Visual Basic Editor. You have to quit and restart Outlook after adding the code.
    Don't forget to modify the sender name etc. You may want to use some test data first.

[attachment=86698:OutlookCode.txt]

Attached Files Attached Files

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're on to something.

It forwarded the email. I haven't received the text message yet, but this may take a little longer, I'll let you know.

I input my phone number without any spaces or dashes, nnnnnnnnnn

Thanks a bunch!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HansV View Post
    Instead of a rule, you might use an event procedure for the ItemAdd event. The code in the attached text file should go into the ThisOutlookSession module under Microsoft Outlook Objects in the Visual Basic Editor. You have to quit and restart Outlook after adding the code.
    Don't forget to modify the sender name etc. You may want to use some test data first.

[attachment=86698:OutlookCode.txt]
    I see it is working for stans, but I'm curious wouldn't the code have to live up on the mail server? What happens if the outlook client is closed?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The code that I posted will only run when Outlook is active; it is intended for stand-alone Outlook.

If you're on Exchange server, it may be possible to create a server-side script that would run whether Outlook is active or not, but I can't help with that.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by stans View Post
    Yes, I use ATT.

The problem is, in Outlook, I don't see how to make Outlook send the text message, when I receive an email from a particular address.
    As a test, try creating a rule forwarding the message to yournumber@txt.att.net (my test rule in Outlook 2003 was anything with High Priority should be forwarded). Obviously you will get very little of the message itself, but it's just a test to make sure you have the correct address. Outlook must be running in order for this rule to work.

If forwarding provides insufficient information, then VBA ("run a script") would be the logical next step. Use VBA to extract key information from the message, to compose a new message to your AT&T text-via-email address, and then to send it to you. Outlook also must be running in order for that to work.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone for the input. I will try the suggestions and post back. It will probably be after the holiday though.