New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry if this is the wrong place to ask this.

When I boot up my computer from shut down or wake it from sleep, the VGA Icon comes up immediately and stays up for about 45 seconds after the desktop has started. It is a big 3D image and it is stuck on top of anything I open or have left open and it is very annoying.

Does anyone have a solution to get rid of the icon or at least to make it go away quicker?

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BARC View Post

When I boot up my computer from shut down or wake it from sleep, the VGA Icon comes up immediately and stays up for about 45 seconds after the desktop has started. It is a big 3D image and it is stuck on top of anything I open or have left open and it is very annoying.
    I don't know if it's coming from your OS or your graphics card. Since you say you seem to be able to open stuff, can you capture a screenshot of what this image looks like? It might help someone discover where the cause lies. Also, what OS are you running?

Thanks
    Could it be from your monitor? Many monitors with multiple inputs display a banner about the connection type (VGA, HDMI, etc.) in a small box in the upper left corner. Blocking the entire display is very dysfunctional...if it's caused by the monitor, it might be mentioned in reviews or forum posts (hardware forums more likely) about your monitor.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry for just getting back. A screen shot did not work. Apparently the image is not part of the desktop images like an open program, a gadget, a shortcut icon, etc. When I took the screen shot and pasted it into Irfanview, the image disappeared from the screen shot when it disappeared from the screen!?

I think it must be the monitor starting and showing the type of connection it has. I just wish it didn't stay on so long. I recently installed a new graphics card and switched the cable from VGA to DVI but the only difference I got is that now it is a DVI 3D icon. It still pops up at start up or wake up and stays up for about 30 to 45 seconds.

Thanks
    I think it must be the monitor starting and showing the type of connection it has.
    What brand and model number? Perhaps there is a solution online.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    What brand and model number? Perhaps there is a solution online.
    It is branded Gateway but shows up in Device Manager as Generic PnP. I have put in a lot searches online and haven't come up with anything.

Thanks
    It is branded Gateway but shows up in Device Manager as Generic PnP. I have put in a lot searches online and haven't come up with anything.
    I don't think the driver makes any difference. It would be more helpful to have the manual for the monitor and explore its menu system to see whether you can change anything there. Maybe even pressing the menu button will clear that overlay?