Star Lounger
    Thanks

Digital Signatures Kicking My Tush (Word 2000)

We have a small Win98 Peer-to-peer network in which we share a relatively small set of documents. These docs contain Open-, Close- and Save-related macros.
    I have created a SelfCert certificate and a digital signature in an effort to meet macro security requirements.
    That was the plan anyway...
    I expected I could just say anything from my SelfCert was always to be trusted. But Word never gave the 'Always Trust' option - using either High or Medium security.
    So I figure either I misunderstood the validity of this approach or my implementation is flawed. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Digital Signatures Kicking My Tush (Word 2000)

Just to let you know that I experience the same thing. Word does note that it is signed, just also notes that the signature can't be authenticated.

First, normally your macros should be in templates, rather than in documents. While you can put a macro in a document, it is exceptional to have a reason to do so.

Second, you can put items containing macros into a safe location that has been marked as trusted. Word is set up to have two of these, they are the templates folder (and subfolders) and the Word startup folder. Do not put your documents or templates into the startup folder unless you know why you want them there. See: <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm> Template Basics</A> (addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm) for more on templates (user and workgroup), document templates, global templates and Normal.dot. This also includes how the files are organized under File New and the location of template folders which varies not only by version of Word but also by operating system.

There are actually two templates folders, the user templates folder and the workgroup templates folder. You could set a common repository on your network and designate it as your workgroup templates folder.

Hope this helps,
    Charles Kyle Kenyon
    Madison, Wisconsin