Results 1 to 14 of 14
  1. #1
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi -

    Can the Welcome Screen be permanently disabled without going into the Registry?

    Thank you.

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts

  3. #3
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    It is a one time run per user account, just run it and and it will not be seen by that user again.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  4. #4
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hans - I wanted to avoid going into the Registry.

  5. #5
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    It is a one time run per user account, just run it and and it will not be seen by that user again.
    Dave - Unfortunately, the screen appears every time. I am the only user.

  6. #6
    Plutonium Lounger Leif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    14,010
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mipendance View Post
    Hans - I wanted to avoid going into the Registry.
    Did you mean you literally didn't want to personally go in there, or you don't want the change to be reflected there?

    If the former, follow the instructions shown just before 'Method 2' of the link Hans gave:
    "To automate the above, use the REG file that I created. Download ie8-tour-disable.zip, unzip and run the file ie8-tour-disable.reg."
    I would expect you simply need to double-click the unzipped file and the change would be made for you. (I would suggest you manually set a System Restore point just in case...)

    If the latter, I don't think you are going to find a solution - the registry needs to be edited.

  7. #7
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mipendance View Post
    Dave - Unfortunately, the screen appears every time. I am the only user.
    You need to answer the 2 or 3 questions and THEN it will not appear again. It is a script and it must run it's full cycle and then it is done.
    Aborting will NOT clear the "runonce" flag.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  8. #8
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    You need to answer the 2 or 3 questions and THEN it will not appear again. It is a script and it must run it's full cycle and then it is done.
    Aborting will NOT clear the "runonce" flag.
    I have one PC where the IE8 welcome screen keeps appearing. I think it happens after I have had to hit the reset button because the computer has hung, even though it has already been run multiple times.

  9. #9
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    StuartR,
    Yes, the may happen, as one was to "Reset" IE to ALL defaults, I think the "RunOnce" flag is cleared also and one must go through these same questions again. But, how many times does one need to do this, I have only done it once in all the years and different systems I have worked on.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  10. #10
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    StuartR,
    Yes, the may happen, as one was to "Reset" IE to ALL defaults, I think the "RunOnce" flag is cleared also and one must go through these same questions again. But, how many times does one need to do this, I have only done it once in all the years and different systems I have worked on.
    Dave,

    This is the computer with the problem in Post 767942. It hangs three or four times a day and each time the PC is reset it seems to reset IE8.

    Fortunately I think I have now fixed the hardware fault.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,592
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Dave,

    This is the computer with the problem in Post 767942. It hangs three or four times a day and each time the PC is reset it seems to reset IE8.

    Fortunately I think I have now fixed the hardware fault.
    I think the key may be to re-boot or logoff at a minimum after completing the IE8 welcome screen. I'm not sure when the registry cache will be written back to disk. Some of that happens during the "saving your settings" phase of a shutdown/reboot. Some probably happens before that if the system needs the memory.

    Joe
    Joe

  12. #12
    Super Moderator
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    Renton, Washington, USA
    Posts
    12,560
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I agree with Joe.

    When you said "Reset" I thought that you manually Reset IE to default settings.

    Yes, if one does NOT get to log out or shutdown/reboot properly, then the user settings are not saved.

    Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

  13. #13
    2 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    173
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    Did you mean you literally didn't want to personally go in there, or you don't want the change to be reflected there?

    If the former, follow the instructions shown just before 'Method 2' of the link Hans gave:
    "To automate the above, use the REG file that I created. Download ie8-tour-disable.zip, unzip and run the file ie8-tour-disable.reg."
    I would expect you simply need to double-click the unzipped file and the change would be made for you. (I would suggest you manually set a System Restore point just in case...)...
    Thank you Hans and Leif - was a cinch.

  14. #14
    Plutonium Lounger Leif's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2000
    Location
    U.K.
    Posts
    14,010
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mipendance View Post
    Thank you Hans and Leif - was a cinch.
    Good to hear - and thanks for posting back!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •