New Lounger
    Thanks
    It's my computer, I am the only administrator. I uninstalled Office because of problems. Now I need to reinstall it and I'm getting a notice from Windows Installer stating "The system administrator has set policies to prevent the installation." How can I fix this?

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Try these steps - once logged in as an admin user:

1. Enter the control panel and open Administrative Tools.
    2. Go to the Local Security Settings / Policy
    3. Click on Software Restriction Policies.
    4. In the event that there are no software restrictions defined, you can right click on Restriction Policies and
    5. Select New Software Restriction Policy.

If you have any software applied policies they should be in here. You should then be able to open up the policy and ammend it's permissions, etc.... been a while since I had to do this but poke around and I'm sure you'll find it

Make sure to reboot your PC afterwards.

[EDIT] And a quick google brings me this which may be quicker and easier if you're happy editing the registry!

HKLM\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Installer

Name - DisableMSI Type - REG_DWORD 0 = enable

This was originally set to 1.

Hope this helps out someone else who comes across this error.

During my search I also found that there is a Windows Installer 2.0 Bug which sometimes throws up this message. If there is a trace of an application previously having been installed, and you are trying to re-install it, you may get the above error. You can fix this by going to the registry to:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Installer\Products\

Browse through and find your product. Delete the key relating to your product and this should allow the application to install. I haven't had the opportunity to check this out. But just in case someone is reading this and might need this resolution give it a go.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I found the problem & solutions:

"Windows Installer error 1635" lead to

Windows Installer Cleanup Utility (this removes registry stuff from uninstalled programs)

and then "patch package could not be opened" lead to

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/295823

which finally fixed it.

Thanks