New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a computer running Windows XP Pro that will boot up in safe mode but will not boot up in normal mode.

When I use the recovery console to repair the Master Boot Record, I get the message that the MBR is non standard or corrupt. I continue with the repair and it indicates that the MBR was repaired. However, the problem still remains.

I have installed a new hard drive and set the old drive up as a slave. I can access the slave drive without any problem. The only reason that I continue to struggle with this problem is that I have some programs that I can not replace.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dhwms View Post
    I have a computer running Windows XP Pro that will boot up in safe mode but will not boot up in normal mode.

When I use the recovery console to repair the Master Boot Record, I get the message that the MBR is non standard or corrupt. I continue with the repair and it indicates that the MBR was repaired. However, the problem still remains.

I have installed a new hard drive and set the old drive up as a slave. I can access the slave drive without any problem. The only reason that I continue to struggle with this problem is that I have some programs that I can not replace.

Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
    I had similar problems when I replaced my Hard disk. My solution is described*in this post here
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the advice. Is my understanding correct?
    1. You cloned your old hard drive onto a new hard drive to get all of your programs onto the new hard drive.Were you in safe mode when you did this?
    2. You then made the new cloned hard drive a system drive with all of you old programs intact.

I think that my problem is in the software and I would be copying that problem to a new hard drive. I need to find a way to fix the files/programs that are involved with the boot sector. What are the drivers/programs that are being loaded during normal start up that are not being loaded in safe mode?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    1. You cloned your old hard drive onto a new hard drive to get all of your programs onto the new hard drive.Were you in safe mode when you did this?
    2. You then made the new cloned hard drive a system drive with all of you old programs intact.

I think that my problem is in the software and I would be copying that problem to a new hard drive. I need to find a way to fix the files/programs that are involved with the boot sector. What are the drivers/programs that are being loaded during normal start up that are not being loaded in safe mode?
    Your boot sector is fine otherwise you'd not be able to boot at all not even to safe mode.

Safe mode uses generic drivers for all you peripherals - display, hd, etc. Have you updated any drivers recently?

This could also be a hardware issue such as failing RAM. See Microsoft Online Crash Analysis - windiag for a memory diagnostic program.

You could also use the free Autoruns for Windows tool. Using the Logon tab you can disable various programs that start automatically when you boot. If your system boots when you've disabled several programs then re-enable them one at a time until you indentify the culprit.

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The drive cloning software that I used boots from a cd, so the operation was done outside of windows completely.*

[quote name='joeperez']
    Your boot sector is fine otherwise you'd not be able to boot at all not even to safe mode.

[/quote]

I think Joe is correct with this one. My advice pertained to getting the bootable system from the old harddrive to a new one. Sorry if I've clouded the issue.
    John (Unreconstructed Jacobite)