New Lounger
    Thanks
    I anyone aware of a clear description of how to upgrade the main/primary Windows Home Server drive. I have the HP version that came with a 500GB drive, I have since added 3 - 1.5TB data drives. I would like to upgrade the system drive to a 2TB drive but haven't been able to find really uncontested instructions on how to accomplish this. I would prefer not to have to move everything and start off from scratch.

An associated question is if there is anyway of archiving off specific backups. I've seen mention of an addon that will archive off all backups but since I have 1.7TB of backups that is to much for any external drive I have.

Gary

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Looks like the Thanksgiving weekend has people otherwise occupied. The most common approach is to use a drive imaging software package to make a complete backup of your 500 GB drive, then install the 2 TB drive and restore the image. There are at least 3 commercial products that I see discussed: Acronis True Image, Norton Ghost, and Shadow Protect. I've not used any of them, but others have and you will find some lengthy discussions about them in the Lounge. There is also an article comparing the first two that can be accessed from the WindowsSecrets site.

On your backups, what product are you using to do the backups? And are you storing them on the 3 1.5 TB drives? Are they USB or internal? Most backups have a facility to set the number of backups you keep. And if you install a 2 TB main drive, what will you do your backups to? If your HP WHS has a RAID controller, you might want to consider using several drives in a RAID 5 configuration.
    Wendell

Thanks
    My recent experience with drive cloning and repartitioning software might be relevant: [topic=768520]Upgrading laptop hard drive (Lounge forum: Hardware)[/topic].

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bechthold View Post
    I anyone aware of a clear description of how to upgrade the main/primary Windows Home Server drive. I have the HP version that came with a 500GB drive, I have since added 3 - 1.5TB data drives. I would like to upgrade the system drive to a 2TB drive but haven't been able to find really uncontested instructions on how to accomplish this. I would prefer not to have to move everything and start off from scratch.

An associated question is if there is anyway of archiving off specific backups. I've seen mention of an addon that will archive off all backups but since I have 1.7TB of backups that is to much for any external drive I have.
    WHS uses drive extender technology. That means you may not necessarily be able to use normal procedures for replacing the system drive. You should ask your questions at the forums at one of:

We Got Served - Windows Home Server and Your Digital Home,

MediaSmartServer.net The Windows Home Server Enthusiast Community,

Using Windows Home Server - WHS and the Connected Home,

Home - Home Server Land,

MS Windows Home Server.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Well after a few days with no response I used HP's suggestion of "server restore" . That turned into a total disaster as far as all of my backups were concerned because it corrupted the backup database and when I ran the repair function it proceeded to delete every single backup., totaling 1.6TB'.

What I found extremely interesting is that I ran the "server restor" from my Win 7 Pro desktop and the first part (actual reinstall of WHS) ran fine but the swiched to the Connector software which promptly reported that it was running on an unsupported version of Windows and exited. Since you have to run the connector software to setup the server password I was stuck because the connector software actually grabs the connector software from the server but it couldn't get to the server, "Catch 22" Had to find a Vista machine and start over from scratch with another server restore. Even when I was finished on the Vista machine I still couldn't add the Win7 machines to the server until I remote desktop'd to the server and ran Update/Reboot 3 times until PP3 installed. At that point the server had the connector software for Win7 on the server.

What a disaster!

Thanks for the responses, I would like to hear from someone that was actually successful with cloning the primary drive to a larger capacity drive for future reference.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a self built WHS. I can run it by itself, as I have a keyboard, mouse, and monitor attached.
    The way I have done that is to remove all drives from the WHS and install the new larger drive which you wish to have the os on. Install WHS on the newly installed drive. Then reinstall the data drives that you removed earlier and reboot. WHS should recognize the drives as data drives and automatically add them back in. You will have to recreate all user accounts.

Most of the time, this works. If it don't, you have to copy back the shared folders. The backup database is usually recognized too.

Lounger
    Thanks
    What I found extremely interesting is that I ran the "server restor" from my Win 7 Pro desktop and the first part (actual reinstall of WHS) ran fine but the swiched to the Connector software which promptly reported that it was running on an unsupported version of Windows and exited. Since you have to run the connector software to setup the server password I was stuck because the connector software actually grabs the connector software from the server but it couldn't get to the server, "Catch 22"
    As far as I can tell, this is the way Microsoft intended things to be done, everything via the Server console. It is hard to tell as the help documentation is pretty basic and sketchy. I found in practice that anything to do with installation, update or upgrade was best done via the server itself. You get a warning if you log on to the server via its own keyboard and monitor, but just close the window down and carry on with care. If you stick to manipulating the shared folders via the console, and the system itself via the server you should be fine.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gary, were you using win 7 64 bit? I had many problems that were simular based on the 64 bit version.

Well after a few days with no response I used HP's suggestion of "server restore" . That turned into a total disaster as far as all of my backups were concerned because it corrupted the backup database and when I ran the repair function it proceeded to delete every single backup., totaling 1.6TB'.

What I found extremely interesting is that I ran the "server restor" from my Win 7 Pro desktop and the first part (actual reinstall of WHS) ran fine but the swiched to the Connector software which promptly reported that it was running on an unsupported version of Windows and exited. Since you have to run the connector software to setup the server password I was stuck because the connector software actually grabs the connector software from the server but it couldn't get to the server, "Catch 22" Had to find a Vista machine and start over from scratch with another server restore. Even when I was finished on the Vista machine I still couldn't add the Win7 machines to the server until I remote desktop'd to the server and ran Update/Reboot 3 times until PP3 installed. At that point the server had the connector software for Win7 on the server.

What a disaster!

Thanks for the responses, I would like to hear from someone that was actually successful with cloning the primary drive to a larger capacity drive for future reference.

Gary

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My recent experience with the same.

I have a ex470 I think it is. It also has a 500 gig boot drive, and wanted to move it to a 2 TB drive. I did some searching about ghosting the drive, and found one response saying it worked. Well lets try it and see what happens, I still have the 500 gig drive if anything goes wrong. Then I found that the newer versions of ghost are not for hard drive cloning anymore. I used another program, I can't think of the name right now, sorry. So I cloned the 500 gig drive onto the 2 TB and installed it. it booted, sweet. Well not so sweet, the backup service was stopped and could not be started. my files were all there though and that was the important part.

One possibility for it not working is: I made the data partition on the 2 TB drive take up the rest of the space. Maybe if I had kept it the same size and left the rest of the disk in non partitioned space it would have worked, I don't know.

So I put the 500 gig back in and got the same response about the back up service. so now what? Back to the internet to do some more research.

I did some hunting on the internet about this and did not see anything that was going to help so I started backing up all of my data, I filled every hard drive in the house but got it all backed up. Do you know how long it takes to move 4.5 TB of data across gigabit Ethernet? I then put the 2 TB drive in and ran the restore CD from hp, I was using a windows 7 64 bit machine for this. The install went just fine, I was impressed with the process in fact. After the install was done I tried to install the client software on my PC. I had the newest version of the client on my PC from before the crash, so it did not give me any errors about the 64 bit at this time. The client install went just fine until I got to the find server part, and it could not see the server. I tried unplugging my router from the modem, rebooting the machines, rebooting the router, nothing was working.

I ended up applying a couple of different possibility solutions at once so I am not sure which one of them allowed me to connect. I moved to a windows 7 32 bit machine, and I plugged the server and PC into a hub, not a router. at that point I found the server and was able to finish the install. but as you said above I was not able to install on the windows 7 64 machine until I did a bunch of updates on the server.

Conclusion:

1. I am disappointed in someone, I am not sure if it is HP or Microsoft. But with 64 bit being the wave of the future, not having the ability to install from a windows 7 64 bit machine is not acceptable.
    2. I would be very careful attempting to clone your smaller drive onto a larger one. I am not saying it can't be done, but it did not work for me.

3. If this post can save anyone some headaches it is worth all of this typing.

4. I am not an English major, and love Google for spell check, but there will inevitably be some errors above, on other forums I have a signature of "I can't spell, deal with it" you get the idea.

Gary

Lounger
    Thanks
    An associated question is if there is anyway of archiving off specific backups.
    Which backups, the client machine ones or the server backups.?

The client machine ones can be chosing to restore selected files from a specific drive within a particular backup. WHS will then build on the client machine a temporary image of the drive from the backup and give it a drive letter near the end of the alphabet Y or Z. You could then use a drive snapshot program to create your own archive of this drive image. A bit long winded if you want to do many, but if you just want a yearly archive it is only one procedure per disk.

The server backups are more problematic as WHS support for recovery is rather basic, i.e. restore the lot with no ability to pick out what you want.

JG

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JG Weston View Post
    The client machine ones can be chosing to restore selected files .....
    should be:-

The client machine ones can be done by chosing to restore selected files .....

New Lounger
    Thanks
    In terms of exporting a single backup my question was if there was a way to export or extract a specific backup in such a way that it could be later used to do a restore to a new machine or drive. I know it is easy to copy off individual files.

I want to be able to save old backups off the server so I don't loose data, sounds simple but after having recently lost backups from 5 machines I'm not so sure.

Lounger
    Thanks
    In terms of exporting a single backup my question was if there was a way to export or extract a specific backup in such a way that it could be later used to do a restore to a new machine or drive.
    The method I suggest does this, just that it is by drive not by machine.

I know it is easy to copy off individual files.
    Don't copy off files, take an snapshot image of the whole shadow drive. Then archive the snapshot images of the drives that make up your machine backup.

I want to be able to save old backups off the server so I don't loose data, sounds simple but after having recently lost backups from 5 machines I'm not so sure.
    What I used to do when I had WHS was keep the dailys for 7 days, the weeklies for 4 weeks and the monthlies for 6 months. I would archive the first backup of each year via the method above.

I have since gone to Win 7 and once a month I make an image copy of the two shared drives so I have the Win 7 back up and a month old (at worst) mirror copy. I have had much less trouble with backup since going to Win 7, it runs more or less on its own. WHS used cough up errors needing repair 2 or 3 times a year and twice it couldn't recognise a USB drive with my back up on, which was fine when plugged into an XP system but a pain to copy it all back, over the network, to where it should be.

JG