Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

My wife's Viewsonic LCD monitor suddenly went black, although the power light is on. I hooked it up to my PC and nada. I hooked my monitor up to her machine and it works fine. I also switched the cable (DVI > Analog) and that didn't work either. And lastly, I hooked up an old CRT monitor to her machine and it too works fine.

Sooooo, I'm assuming that the Viewsonic has died. However, is there anything type of test other than the above that could be done to make absolutely sure it needs to be replaced? Is there anything, albeit unusual that could have been done, e.g., combination of keystrokes or any such thing that might have caused this?

Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds well dead to me, Jeff.

If this monitor wasn't standing on your desk it would be pushing up the daisies.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    However, is there anything type of test other than the above that could be done to make absolutely sure it needs to be replaced?
    Based on my observations of what we have:

Are there any buttons on the front to bring up a settings menu?
    With no signal, do you get a 'no signal' image on screen?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Sounds like you've done all the tricks that I know of. Does it have a row of buttons like mine, where one of 'em is a Menu button? If so, none working, huh? Sadly, it looks like a "funeral" is in order...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Sounds like it is dead, BUT, if it is not that old, give the ViewSonic a call and see about getting it fixed under warranty.

We have had 2 different ones repaired by ViewSonic twice each, at NO charge. Had to do a little screaming, since the warranty had expired 4 days past.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Here are the answers to the various questions but not necessarily in the order asked.

1. The monitor is 4 or 5 years old... no warranty in force.
    2. There are buttons, e.g., menu, brightness, etc., but pushing them does nothing.
    3. There is no "signal" image searching for digital or analog... just plain black.

Okay, we have conceded that the monitor is dead and have narrowed down its replacement to these two:

a. LG W2343T-PF Black 23" 5ms Widescreen

b. SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23"

I've owned 3 Samsung monitors and have been more than satisfied with them. LG, however, also gets high marks in the reviews and it is $20 cheaper. However, the Samsung, perhaps due to my past experience has a slight preference in our choice. But, the nagging question is in regard to the different screen resolutions that each one has: 2048x1152 (Samsung) vs. 1920x1080 (LG). My wife's eyes aren't great and what we are concerned with is the font size being too small with the Samsung.

Can someone address this concern about the difference in the two screen resolutions especially because they both claim a 23" screen (viewable).

I'd also like to hear back about YOUR preferences between these two companies, especially LG since I have not even seen one in real life to be able to compare it with the Samsung.

THANKS!

Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    Okay, we have conceded that the monitor is dead and have narrowed down its replacement to these two:

a. LG W2343T-PF Black 23" 5ms Widescreen

b. SAMSUNG 2343BWX High Glossy Black 23"
    I thought I would throw one more contender into the mix which I am trying to get more information on a Hanns-G LCD here:

c. Hanns·G HH-241HPB

Any opinions on Hanns-G products?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    It probably wouldn't make any difference to you if you already have one, but I notice the LG doesn't say you get a DVI cable. Personally, I would opt for the Samsung because I would prefer their resolution. It may be silly but I don't know if number of customer reviews is an indicator one should lean on. The Samsun evidently got a lot of "input" on that area, 94% of which were in the 4 or 5 category.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    It probably wouldn't make any difference to you if you already have one, but I notice the LG doesn't say you get a DVI cable. Personally, I would opt for the Samsung because I would prefer their resolution. It may be silly but I don't know if number of customer reviews is an indicator one should lean on. The Samsung evidently got a lot of "input" on that area, 94% of which were in the 4 or 5 category.
    Al,

I generally read ALL of the reviews on newegg.com and by doing so you can get a fairly good idea of what is a reasonably good deal or not. And, in reading them all one can see that many of the pro's and con's are based upon dribble, e.g., "I don't care for the gloss black frame because it is a fingerprint magnet."

The Samsung, as I wrote above was one of our choices but the native resolution was a serious issue since the display would have been perhaps too small for everyday use. And, as you are no doubt aware, changing the native resolution on an LCD is most always unacceptable due to distortion, blurring, etc.

Sooooo, due to the fact that these units are on special and since given the limited time they are good for and knowing how things go on newegg.com, the time to decide is very short since from my past experience, "hot" items generally sell out within 24 hours. Thus, we have bit the bullet and made a choice going with the Hanns-G monitor after comparing specs with the other 2, reading through the reviews etc. We do hope this selection will prove to be acceptable and that the display will be what most of the reviews said it was; bright, clear, excellent contrast and color.

I am still wanting to know what people think of Hanns-G monitors, either from personal experience of from friends known who have purchased one.
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator