New Lounger
    Thanks
    After getting Windows 7 All-in-one for Dummies; have been trying to follow the recommendations re Windows Updates. There is a missing link somewhere between setting updates to not install automatically and finding recommendations for specific updates in Ask Woody. How do I find those recommendations? To which update does the MS-DEFCON rating on the cover page refer?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    The MS-DEFCON rating generally applies to the latest round of updates. Most Windows and Office updates are released on the second Tuesday of the month. As a rule, Woody moves the rate to 4 (go ahead and install all outstanding updates) a few days before that date, then changes it to 2 (wait) when the new updates are released.

(Personally, I just install all updates as they are released; you can always uninstall them if they don't work correctly, but I haven't had to do that for over 6 years now)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Crawford View Post
    After getting Windows 7 All-in-one for Dummies; have been trying to follow the recommendations re Windows Updates. There is a missing link somewhere between setting updates to not install automatically and finding recommendations for specific updates in Ask Woody. How do I find those recommendations? To which update does the MS-DEFCON rating on the cover page refer?
    We are talking about Woody Leonhard's Patch Watch Web Site and blog here.

MS_DEFCON Ratings at Woody's Patch Watch Site refer to a general condition. In other words, we are currently at MS-DEFCON-2, so you should not apply Microsoft Updates patches until the level drops down to MS-DEFCON-3 or MS-DEFCON-4. That should occur within about a week or so from this weekend. These ratings apply to ALL MS Updates patches, not just any one in particular.

Woody posts how to set your Windows computer to "notify but do not install" status, using the Windows Security Center settings. There are also ways of completely disabling Automatic Updates, but unless you are a very vigilant person (like me) I do not recommend disabling the service entirely, and neither does Woody. The blog entries themselves deal with more specific details about patches, programs, Windows news, and related stuff. Not quite as broad-ranging as The Lounge, but quite a variety of stories and recommendations.

If you have any questions or comments about how to use the MS-DEFCON system, or questions about the safety of specific patches, you can post comments and questions at the Patch Watch Site, or post here under an appropriate topic area. Someone will get back to you with some answers or some leads.
    -- Bob Primak --

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to both of you. Makes sense to me now.

Quote Originally Posted by bobprimak View Post
    We are talking about Woody Leonhard's Patch Watch Web Site and blog here.

MS_DEFCON Ratings at Woody's Patch Watch Site refer to a general condition. In other words, we are currently at MS-DEFCON-2, so you should not apply Microsoft Updates patches until the level drops down to MS-DEFCON-3 or MS-DEFCON-4. That should occur within about a week or so from this weekend. These ratings apply to ALL MS Updates patches, not just any one in particular.

Woody posts how to set your Windows computer to "notify but do not install" status, using the Windows Security Center settings. There are also ways of completely disabling Automatic Updates, but unless you are a very vigilant person (like me) I do not recommend disabling the service entirely, and neither does Woody. The blog entries themselves deal with more specific details about patches, programs, Windows news, and related stuff. Not quite as broad-ranging as The Lounge, but quite a variety of stories and recommendations.

If you have any questions or comments about how to use the MS-DEFCON system, or questions about the safety of specific patches, you can post comments and questions at the Patch Watch Site, or post here under an appropriate topic area. Someone will get back to you with some answers or some leads.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks to both of you. Makes sense to me now.