Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    This from an email I received today "Introducing Microsoft Office Backstage"
    "Get projects done more quickly with the Ribbon. With the improved, customizable Ribbon, all of your formatting tools—like font size, italics, bullets, and more—are never far away. Functions are clearly visible, and special contextual tabs even highlight the commands you need specifically for the task at hand."

Am I missing something here?
    Mine is a negative stance I know, but I think of the hundreds, if not thousands of user screens I've seen over the past fifteen years, all sporting the FORMAT toolbar, with those buttons ready-to-hand, and now we are being told that they won't be far away?
    Was there ever a more blatant statement that MS didn't know what it was doing when it introduced The Ribbon?
    Most users left the Standard and Format toolbars in place, as they arrived out-of-the-box, never customized them, never hid them.
    Never had a clue.
    But used them (far to often IMHO) every day.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    This is bad writing to be sure. I too spent sometime trying to figure it out. What they likely should have written is that ... customizing the ribbon could allow you to put many of your most used features and customizations on one tab. I have not given the customize ribbon more than a quick try, but so far I think there may be some limitations. Unwillingness to go into discussion of those limitations may have led them to write obscurely.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I downloaded and installed the "Office Professional Plus" version.
    I am not use that all of these "Improvements" will be in ALL packages.

Office Mobile
    Office Home and Business 2010
    Office Professional 2010
    Office Professional Plus 2010

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    This is bad writing to be sure.
    Right, but my point was, that after 15 years of those Bold, Italic etc buttons staring us all in the face, Microsoft took them away, and now is reversing THAT stance and saying that they will let users "have them back"

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    I am not sure that all of these "Improvements" will be in ALL packages.
    Well that too wouldn't surprise me.
    (1) We let people get used to common buttons on toolbars
    (2) We took them away / hid them
    (3) We might have made a mistake
    (4) So we'll re-instate them in some cases .....
    (5) Why should we care? It's only the end-user anyway

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    Right, but my point was, that after 15 years of those Bold, Italic etc buttons staring us all in the face, Microsoft took them away, and now is reversing THAT stance and saying that they will let users "have them back"
    Microsoft has listened to its customers who complained loudly about how difficult it is to modify the ribbon in Office 2007. Now they have made the ribbon much more customizable in Office 2010. They are NOT going back to the old toolbar paradigm.

Joe
    Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    (4) So we'll re-instate them in some cases .....
    Can you provide a list of some of these items that have been given back to us?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    First impressions of Word 2010 (compared with Word 2007):

It appears that MS has restored the old default font and line spacing (Times New Roman, single spacing) rather than automatically using the Calibri (+Body) font and 1.15 line spacing. That's good news.

Also good news that users can add customized tabs (and groups) to the Ribbon. Still can't modify existing tabs or groups, though it's possible to delete groups.

What concerns me the most as a trainer is the "Backstage" view. Although I understand that MS substituted a File drop-down for the Office Button because some users found the button confusing (or didn't realize it existed), the new drop-down strikes me as cumbersome and kludgy. Why does it take up the entire screen? Will new users understand how to close the drop down (click a different tab or press the Esc key), or will they click the Close button -- or, worse yet, the Exit button -- thereby closing not only the File drop-down but also the current document? Why are the commands not in the standard order that users are accustomed to from older programs, including Word 2007? Why are some commands in smaller print? Why does the drop-down usually open to the "Info" section rather than "Recent"?

These are just a few of the questions that occur to me as I'm testing (and preparing to work on a sequel to my Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007 book). I am making an effort to approach the program as my current and prospective clients are likely to do, and I think there will be a fair amount of befuddlement over the File drop-down.

Jan
    Author, Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2016,
    Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Word 2010​,
    and Formatting Legal Documents With Microsoft Office Word 2007

For Word and WordPerfect tips, visit my blog at http://compusavvy.wordpress.com

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    On my copy the default is " Calibri" 11, but, I did a "Upgrade" install over 2007.

As for the Info vs. Recents, I see that IF one was to do a File, New, and then right away do a File again, it will default to the Info, but If done later, it defaults to Recents.

Yes, "Options" and "Exit" are smaller that any of the other entries, but that tells me that they are different types of entries from the others.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, Dave,

Interesting that your "Upgrade" install took the defaults from Word 2007. I didn't use the "Upgrade" option, since I need to keep Word 2007 on the same machine where I downloaded Office 2010.

I'm getting inconsistent results (at least, I haven't figured out any pattern yet) with respect to when the File drop-down opens to "Info" and when it opens to "Recent." At first I thought that Word 2010 defaults to "Info" before you save any files and then defaults to "Recent" after you save some files, but it doesn't seem to be that logical.

Although I understand that "Options" and "Exit" are qualitatively different from the other commands -- perhaps the reason they were at the bottom of the Office Button drop-down in Word 2007 -- I'm not sure I agree with the concept or the way that MS has implemented it. The "Save," "Save As," "Open," and "Close" commands also are smaller. Why? Are they less important (or used less frequently) than "Info"? I doubt that most people in my field (the legal profession) would think so.

At least the Office Button drop-down makes sense intuitively because it resembles, to a great extent, the File menu that people are used to seeing. This new "Backstage" thing isn't nearly as intuitive, in my opinion.

Just my two cents, of course.

Jan

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Can you provide a list of some of these items that have been given back to us?
    Not first hand, no; I am still waiting for time to install my 2010 beta copy.
    My original post was based on a statement issued that mentioned ""font size, italics, bullets", and my mind wen straight back to (probably) Word 2.0 when these buttons were all the rage.
    I read the statement as (roughly) "OK, we are sorry we made them harder to see, and now we realize that you loved them, so we're going to make them easier to see", that is, a reversal of a design decision.

I am, of course, not advocating the use of those buttons, and since reading pages 2 and 3 of Woody Leonhard's Underground Guide, have campaigned against them.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by janbphd View Post
    First impressions of Word 2010 (compared with Word 2007):

It appears that MS has restored the old default font and line spacing (Times New Roman, single spacing) rather than automatically using the Calibri (+Body) font and 1.15 line spacing. That's good news.
    If you didn't rename or delete the customized normal template you used with W2007, W2010 is still using it. If you allow Word to create a new one, the 2010 defaults (Calibri etc.) will show up.
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PamCaswell View Post
    If you didn't rename or delete the customized normal template you used with W2007, W2010 is still using it. If you allow Word to create a new one, the 2010 defaults (Calibri etc.) will show up.
    Ah. So they use the same normal.dotm? (I have -- and need to keep -- Word 2007 on the same machine where I installed the Office 2010 beta.)

Disappointing that the Word 2010 defaults are the same as those in Word 2007. But thanks for the heads-up. I'll correct my blog post, and update my notes, first thing tomorrow.

Jan

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by janbphd View Post
    Ah. So they use the same normal.dotm? (I have -- and need to keep -- Word 2007 on the same machine where I installed the Office 2010 beta.)

Disappointing that the Word 2010 defaults are the same as those in Word 2007. But thanks for the heads-up. I'll correct my blog post, and update my notes, first thing tomorrow.

Jan
    No they didn't back away from it. After all, many, many designers and other artist types applauded them for it. But they did add paragraph spacing to the change styles choices. So if you like the fonts of a style set but not the paragraph spacing, you can change it for the current document in one click.

Pam
    Pam Caswell

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Pam. I'll check out paragraph spacing in the change styles choices. It's still not particularly helpful in the legal profession (at least, not in California), where documents submitted to courts must follow stringent formatting rules that don't allow the use of non-standard line spacing and such. But it's useful to know what's available.

As always, I appreciate your help.

Jan