Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 81
  1. #1
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Does anyone have experience of GlaryUtilities? It includes both a registry cleaner and a registry defrag. Any comments on the usefulness or otherwise of these particular tools?

  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Posts
    84,353
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 29 Times in 29 Posts
    I have no experience with this program. It might well contain useful components, but in the product overview my eye was struck by

    "Memory Optimizer
    Monitors and optimizes free memory in the background"
    All recent versions of Windows have memory management built-in, a third-party utility that interferes with this will probably have a negative effect.


  3. #3
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    So called memory optimizers defeat the purpose of Windows memory management. The way they "optimize" memory is usually to request a large amount of memory causing Windows to determine which parts of memory are available to be freed and then free the RAM. In addition to just freeing RAM the request could cause page file usage. One of the tenents of Windows memory management is that users tend to do the same tasks over and over. Therefore, Windows does not release memory until it needs to thus when a user requests a program or function that was used relatively recently there is a good chance it is already in RAM and does not have to be loaded from disk.

    Anything that requires disk usage such as page file access or loading a program is extremely slow compared to RAM access.

    BTW, I had Glary Utilities installed for a while some time ago. I found I NEVER used the program beyond looking at it when I first installed it.

    Joe
    Joe

  4. #4
    4 Star Lounger
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    541
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    So called memory optimizers defeat the purpose of Windows memory management. The way they "optimize" memory is usually to request a large amount of memory causing Windows to determine which parts of memory are available to be freed and then free the RAM. In addition to just freeing RAM the request could cause page file usage. One of the tenents of Windows memory management is that users tend to do the same tasks over and over. Therefore, Windows does not release memory until it needs to thus when a user requests a program or function that was used relatively recently there is a good chance it is already in RAM and does not have to be loaded from disk.

    Anything that requires disk usage such as page file access or loading a program is extremely slow compared to RAM access.

    BTW, I had Glary Utilities installed for a while some time ago. I found I NEVER used the program beyond looking at it when I first installed it.

    Joe

    What are your thoughts regarding Glary's Registry Cleaner and Registry Defrag?

  5. #5
    Gold Lounger Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,024
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    What are your thoughts regarding Glary's Registry Cleaner and Registry Defrag?
    If I can comment here, I think that you will find that most here will discourage the use of any Registry Cleaners. I have yet to see ANY objective and documented proof (apart from the manufacturers' claims of course) that a registry cleaner provides any noticeable or actual measured improvement in system performance, especially with the latest operating systems such as Vista or Windows 7. Oh sure, some will say that their system "seems to run faster" after the use of a cleaner, but show me the proof.

    On the other hand, there have been many instances where applications and even entire systems have been rendered inoperative by the injudicious use of these tools. If you must run a registry cleaner, the one included with CCleaner seems to be the least intrusive and the safest.

    Obviously this is a personal choice, but I don't think that the (questionable) rewards outweigh the possible and very real risks.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

  6. #6
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel View Post
    If I can comment here, I think that you will find that most here will discourage the use of any Registry Cleaners. I have yet to see ANY objective and documented proof (apart from the manufacturers' claims of course) that a registry cleaner provides any noticeable or actual measured improvement in system performance, especially with the latest operating systems such as Vista or Windows 7. Oh sure, some will say that their system "seems to run faster" after the use of a cleaner, but show me the proof.

    On the other hand, there have been many instances where applications and even entire systems have been rendered inoperative by the injudicious use of these tools. If you must run a registry cleaner, the one included with CCleaner seems to be the least intrusive and the safest.

    Obviously this is a personal choice, but I don't think that the (questionable) rewards outweigh the possible and very real risks.
    I agree completely. I never run a registry cleaner on a regular basis any more. The only time I'd even try one is if the PC had some error that I could attribute to a registry problem. Even then I'd be very careful.

    Joe
    Joe

  7. #7
    New Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    McLeansboro, Illinois, USA
    Posts
    12
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hello to All!
    I'm tired of arguing with my friends. Do any of you Loungers know of any Windows Registry "Cleaners" or "Optimizers" that really do any good? Frankly, I feel that they promise a lot, but deliver little. In some cases the results they produce may be irritating or downright dangerous. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Any product names?
    Thanks,
    FourEyes

  8. #8
    Platinum Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Posts
    3,788
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree with you and believe that registry cleaners have limited use. You will find quite a few here are of like mind, for example see the replies to this thread.

  9. #9
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foureyes View Post
    ... Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Any product names?
    I agree with Tony and because I'm conservative, disbelieving and fearful, I don't use any such utilities, relying solely on the tools that are within Windows.

    But to be fair, as you'll see in the thread Tony linked to, it seems the most "popular" cleanup program here in The Lounge is CCleaner, getting many mentions in threads.

  10. #10
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    10,550
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    I believe that these kind of utilities do more harm than good. I have heard of many problems caused by registry cleaners, and I have never seen any evidence of the benefits that some people claim.

  11. #11
    Administrator
    Join Date
    Mar 2001
    Location
    St Louis, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    23,594
    Thanks
    5
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    I agree with the previous posters. I've yet to see any quantifiable evidence that runing a registry cleaner regularly does any good on a modern Windows system.

    Joe

    Joe

  12. #12
    Silver Lounger
    Join Date
    Jan 2001
    Location
    Swanzey, New Hampshire, USA
    Posts
    1,707
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by foureyes View Post
    I'm tired of arguing with my friends. Do any of you Loungers know of any Windows Registry "Cleaners" or "Optimizers" that really do any good? Frankly, I feel that they promise a lot, but deliver little. In some cases the results they produce may be irritating or downright dangerous. Anyone have an opinion one way or the other? Any product names?
    Okay, I'll play the "odd man out" on this one with a qualifier.

    I do believe that Registry cleaners are beneficial if for no other reason that they remove orphaned and corrupt Registry entries. Whether removing them speeds things up I cannot say and that is of little importance to me since my system is faster than I am already. Now, the qualifier. Put into the hands of a novice who thinks they are more knowledgeable than they really are, which probably includes the majority of computer owners, trouble is around the corner. Unless you understand what the Registry is, how it works, the inter-relations of its contents... leave it alone.

    Now, as BigAl mentioned, CCleaner's Registry utility is quite safe to use by most everyone. Can it make a mistake and remove something it shouldn't? You betcha. Is it likely that it will? Probably not. And, like most Registry cleaners, it does have the ability to do a backup first.

    Other than CCleaner's baby Registry utility the only other one I would trust and thus recommend to those qualified to use it is jv16 PowerTools. It's Registry cleaner utility when left at its default level or changed to being "safer" is probably the best around and safest, which does NOT mean that anyone can simply click a button and think everything is fine. But IF one is determined to clean the Registry, these two programs are worth considering due to their integrity.

    Okay, bring it on boys! hahaha
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

  13. #13
    Gold Lounger Rebel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,024
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    I do believe that Registry cleaners are beneficial if for no other reason that they remove orphaned and corrupt Registry entries. . . . . . Okay, bring it on boys! hahaha
    Well, I'm not going to "bring it on", but I will ask a few questions:
    1) What is the measurable benefit to my system in removing "orphaned and corrupt Registry entries"?
    2) What danger or detriment do "orphaned and corrupt Registry entries" pose to my system?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

  14. #14
    Silver Lounger t8ntlikly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    2,162
    Thanks
    46
    Thanked 13 Times in 11 Posts
    I've used registry cleaners for a few years and have found several that I like, one of which is CCleaner, and the other is UniBlue, which I now use. Over the years, I have had only had one instance of a problem, and that was caused by OHS (Operator Head Space). My laptop is 4 years old,( AMD Turion64, 2GB RAM) and weekly I clean it, Cookies, Temp files etc. and the last thing I do is run UniBlue. All I can say is it runs as fast today as when I first bought it.
    .
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

  15. #15
    5 Star Lounger PaulB's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario
    Posts
    765
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by t8ntlikly View Post
    I've used registry cleaners for a few years and have found several that I like, one of which is CCleaner, and the other is UniBlue, which I now use. Over the years, I have had only had one instance of a problem, and that was caused by OHS (Operator Head Space). My laptop is 4 years old,( AMD Turion64, 2GB RAM) and weekly I clean it, Cookies, Temp files etc. and the last thing I do is run UniBlue. All I can say is it runs as fast today as when I first bought it.
    .
    Are you not confusing registry maintenance with disk/file maintenance? Cookies are not stored in the registry. They are files stored on disk. They should have no effect on your computer's speed in general, only your browser's operation (and even that is doubtful). Ditto Temp files. I'm not familiar with UniBlue but while CCleaner does have a (limited) registry component, its strengths lie in its many other clean up facilities.
    Regards,
    PaulB

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •