Thanks
    Researching new Dell laptops on their UK website for someone, I was surprised to find that (almost?) all their (UK) consumer laptops appear to come with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, with no option to use 32-bit as an alternative. Do they know about the compatibility of 64-bit with the raft of printers, scanners and other hardware which may not yet have 64-bit drivers available? Views, anyone?
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Here in Belgium, it's the same with the Acer laptops. I had to buy 2 of them and no choice : Windows 7 64-bit and nothing else. So far, I don't have problems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Researching new Dell laptops on their UK website for someone, I was surprised to find that (almost?) all their (UK) consumer laptops appear to come with Windows 7 64-bit Home Premium, with no option to use 32-bit as an alternative. Do they know about the compatibility of 64-bit with the raft of printers, scanners and other hardware which may not yet have 64-bit drivers available? Views, anyone?
    64-bit on consumer systems in the US has been the standard for most of this year. OTOH, 32-bit still seems to be the standard for business systems. That is changing slowly. As far as 64-bit drivers go, I think that most retailers are expecting new peripherals to be purchased with a system. If you have older peripheral gear then too bad.

Joe

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hopefully this will drive the OEM's to upgrade their drivers or most will be going to a different product line if they have to by a new device.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    64-bit on consumer systems in the US has been the standard for most of this year. OTOH, 32-bit still seems to be the standard for business systems. That is changing slowly. As far as 64-bit drivers go, I think that most retailers are expecting new peripherals to be purchased with a system. If you have older peripheral gear then too bad.
    I've not had to look for a few months. I agree with your views for Dell, because you still get Windows 7 32-bit offered on the business laptops - and even, still, Windows XP Pro downgrades. Toshiba, on the other hand, and selling 32-bit Windows 7 on their current consumer and business laptops. (I'm still waiting for my 'free' upgrade to Windows 7, now due 2009-12-16...)

I don't think we can assume that people will buy all-new peripherals just because of Windows 7. Our HP LaserJet 4 at work is still working fine - and is supported natively on Windows Server 2008 64-bit!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    I've not had to look for a few months. I agree with your views for Dell, because you still get Windows 7 32-bit offered on the business laptops - and even, still, Windows XP Pro downgrades. Toshiba, on the other hand, and selling 32-bit Windows 7 on their current consumer and business laptops. (I'm still waiting for my 'free' upgrade to Windows 7, now due 2009-12-16...)

I don't think we can assume that people will buy all-new peripherals just because of Windows 7. Our HP LaserJet 4 at work is still working fine - and is supported natively on Windows Server 2008 64-bit!
    Businesses are tethered to their peripherals for accounting reasons. Their devices have or should have an expected lifespan, and they are not replaced until their time is up, absent a legitimate failure which is to say a justifiable writeoff. Beyond that, the rest is gravy: I have seen business running 386 machines for the simple reason that they have never failed. They drive it until the wheels fall off.

This may vary by business and accounting conventions: it was some time before businesses caught on to the principle that it made sense to replace all fluorescent lights at once instead of replacing them as they failed, and the same may apply to computers, but Windows 7 is little more than a month on the market, and I have no expectation that businesses are breaking the doors down to acquire it. Once it proves itself, they will.

Businesses are among the last to adopt a new O/S for a host of reasons, not the least of which is the learning curve and employee training that is associated with it. Users have to know how to use the system, and in the case of businesses they learn to do so at company expense. Home users, students, academics et al are the guinea pigs, and, coincidentally, they (which may or may not be 'we') learn the system first, to the benefit of all.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you for your inquiry regarding Windows 7 x64 drivers. We value
    you as a Canon customer and appreciate the opportunity to assist you
    with your imageCLASS MF3110.

We do apologize, but at this time x32 drivers are available for
    download. Canon has not announced any development plans for a
    compatible x64 driver for your unit. We are sorry for any inconvenience
    this causes.

In case of interest, we would like to inform you of an option that is
    available to you called the Canon Loyalty Program. With this program,
    you have the option to purchase a new laser multifunction unit at a
    discounted price. If this option is of interest to you, please feel
    free to respond for further details.

We hope this information is helpful to you. Please let us know if we
    can be of any further assistance with your MF3110.

Thank you for choosing Canon.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I just got my new Windows 7, 64-bit Dell up and running last week. Downloaded the latest driver for my old Epson CX6600 all-in-one printer and no problems. I also have a Vista system and an XP system. This new Windows 7 OS is loading much faster than either of those, and so far no glitches. I'm very happy with it, at least so far.