New Lounger
    Thanks
    In Outlook 2003, a contact file is automatically made for each e-mail address that hasn't previously been saved. That means the contacts are crowded with the address of every spammer, etc.

I'd like to turn that off so that the user saves addresses manually. Is that possible? Is the procedure different in Outlook 2007?

Thanks.

Elaine

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I do not remember that 2003 would do this, are you sure that a entry is being in the "Contacts"?
    Per your statement, it appears that if you view a email, the contact information added and the sending source now has a contact entry?

Are you replying to these "Spammers"?

I think what you are seeing is the "autocomplete cache" of the drop down list, but, is made when one enters a email address in the heading of a email.

I do not have access to a Office 2003 but, I found this at http://www.slipstick.com/contacts/addauto.asp
    In Outlook 2003 and 2007, addresses you reply to are added to your autocomplete cache. This list is not permanent and addresses you want to keep should be added to your Contacts folder, either manually with a right click on the address or using one of the automated tools below.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't think you can turn off e-mail addresses automatically being added to the autocomplete list.

You can throw away the entire list by deleting the profilename.nk2 file in C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook, or edit it using the free utility NK2View.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Plus, you can manually delete addresses by using the up and down arrows to select and entry and then press the DEL key on the keyboard. This is handy if you want to delete a few entries or if you have an entry that comes up at the top of the list before a person you normally email and you don't want to select them by accident.