Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    I would like to restate my request for less white space on the message-composition screen.
    I am using an Acer display.
    13" wide and 10.5" deep, true measurements.
    1280x1024 pixels
    The box in which I type this text starts 7.25" down from the top of the screen and ends 10" from the top.
    Much space is consumed in tiny increments all the way down the screen before reaching the text box, and I must ALWAYS scroll down to reach the preview button.
    The Preview Button is arguably the most important control on the screen when composing a reply.
    Could we perhaps have it moved to occupy a position in the first seven inches of the screen, instead of pretending that there is no room?
    Encouraging posters to preview before posting would seem to be a good thing; placing a hurdle in the way of previewing would seem like a bad thing.
    Thank You

An earlier thread

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    The Preview Button is arguably the most important control on the screen when composing a reply.
    I have to agree with Chris on this one. Is it possible to move the ATTACHMENTS section DOWN so that the preview button is viewable as you compose your post? Previewing one's post is very important and having to scroll or page down just to get to it is rather annoying and disconcerting. As opposed to attachments, which are not that often needed.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgreaves View Post
    I would like to restate my request for less white space on the message-composition screen.
    I don't know that I would call it white space: there is an Attachments area and an Options area below the textbox and above the submit buttons. This makes logical sense in a composing-step-by-step sense, but I agree that in most cases, you're more likely to want to hit Preview than to use these areas. Perhaps it could be introduced in a new skin using CSS positioning (i.e., the script that generates the page could remain exactly the same, but the buttons would be "slid up" using CSS).

As a temporary hack-around for the standard editor (I don't use the rich text editor), you could run this bookmarklet to reposition the button each time you load the page (obviously that is less painful if you have it on a toolbar):

Code:
    javascript:var b=document.forms['postingform'].elements['preview']; var e=document.getElementById("editor_ed-0"); var t=e.offsetTop+e.offsetHeight; b.style.position="absolute"; b.style.top=t+"px"; var l=e.offsetLeft+(e.offsetWidth/2)-(b.offsetWidth/2); b.style.left=parseInt(l)+"px"; b.style.border="2px solid blue"; void 0;
    The script repositions the button just below the main textbox, centered horizontally. The position is static: it doesn't move if you resize the text or window. Feel free to modify as desired.

If you use Firefox and the GreaseMonkey extension, you could convert this to a GreaseMonkey userscript.

Or we could get at it using style sheet tricks...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    As soon as I place the curser in the "Fast Relpy area the editing pane triples in size. If it would just stay the same it would be just fine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Jefferson's javascript thingie works so fine, that I wonder if IT can be incorporated in the Lounge code. I've put it on my Fx toolbar and it works a treat.

[attachment=86759:2009-11-28_090203.png]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    As soon as I place the curser in the "Fast Relpy area the editing pane triples in size. If it would just stay the same it would be just fine.
    I think this might be a topic for a separate thread. I agree that it's a bit disorienting. Since I use it about half the time I reply to a thread, I've mostly become accustomed to it, but I always feel need to wait until I see the insertion point blinking, so it causes a bit of a delay in composing.

I think the reason it works this way is to reduce the amount of gunk in the page for regular readers who are not expected to reply to many threads. In version 2, I think there was a preference to show or not show the Fast Reply section by default. I'm sure there is some reason behind this new design of partially displaying the section; perhaps it's more self-explanatory?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Advanced Search is where I think there is far too much white space. Yet the list where you choose the forums to search is tiny. And the "Search Current forum only" option has gone. You have to use Advanced Search, and choose the current forum from the list.

[attachment=86771:advancedsearch.gif]
    Regards
    John

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Off topic (about Fast Reply):
    For those Loungers that rely on e-mail notifications and those using Fast Reply; when using the "Fast Reply" the reply is made to the original post, thus, if enabled, a notification is sent to the OP.

Personally I only use Fast Reply if my post is intended as a reply to the OP. Then it's a different matter that some may see it as a comment on the post just above. But I agree with Jefferson, it might be a topic for a separate thread.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhutchison View Post
    Advanced Search is where I think there is far too much white space. Yet the list where you choose the forums to search is tiny. And the "Search Current forum only" option has gone. You have to use Advanced Search, and choose the current forum from the list.
    Off topic (about search):
    It's possible to use TAB to move around on the search page (as well as the other pages), it do help a bit, but I think you know this.

At the end of every forum page there is a box, "Search this forum", that will do a simple search only inside that forum. But it's not possible to search, for example, posts by member name etc. (unless someone knows about some syntax using "member=" etc.).
    [attachment=86778:xSF.PNG]

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhutchison View Post
    And the "Search Current forum only" option has gone. You have to use Advanced Search, and choose the current forum from the list.
    It would be nice to have a "search current forum" option. Since the search engine is going to be swapped out, we probably should wait and see what its options are before prescribing any specific changes based on the IP Board version 2 search engine.

Brian Livingston
    A bit of explanation is in order. The Lounge is mostly using the default pages provided to us by version 3.0 of Invision Power Board (IP.Board). There are two exceptions so far: (1) the Lounge Lobby and (2) the forum view. The other pages have not been redesigned yet, except for very simple tweaks that did not require much or any PHP/MySQL/JavaScript development. You can tell when a page is a default page provided by IP.Board, because the page has a grey look. Our redesigned pages use a blue-orange-white color scheme.

I completely agree that the default IP.Board pages have too much "white space." How we describe it here in Seattle is that the default designs have "too much verticality."

We are in a long process of squeezing out verticality. We want as much of the content of a page as possible to be "above the fold." Even people who have giant screens usually prefer for all of the main input areas and controls of a page to be close together.

IP.Board 3 turns out to be a serious challenge to redesign, much more so than version 2.x. We're working on as many things as possible. We decided to go live with IPB 3 on Oct. 30, 2009, because we determined that it would have taken literally through May 2010 to rework every page of the board at the rate we were going.

In my personal opinion, there should be Preview buttons and other buttons at the top and the bottom of pages, if the buttons would ever be off the screen. Also, I'd prefer that the Fast Reply box be just that — a fast reply when you don't need the Full Editor. But I was advised by developer Dan Engler that changes such as gutting out the "jumping" action of Fast Reply would require brain surgery on the IPB code. The jumping action is due to the fact that JavaScript cannot render the toolbars without a user click, and clicking within the Fast Reply area counts as a click.

When we're through with IPB 3, it won't look as spaced-out and hard to use as it does today. We plan to publish a December 2009 Road Map soon, and after that a 2010 Road Map to put our priorities out there for all to see. Thanks for your patience, and I hope we can work around the limitations of IPB 3 for now.

One bit of good news (you read it here first): Kurt Naber was successful today in installing our first build of the Sphinx search engine. This complex city of code will go through a few days of testing and tuning, but is expected to replace the limited Invision search engine sometime between Dec. 7 and 13.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    A bit of explanation is in order. ...
    And is DEEPLY appreciated in this neck of the woods. Thank you Brian.