New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a little lazy about installing patches and updates and that seems to be a good thing if I read Woody correctly. In the past week or so I have been trying to catch up and now I'm being told by Windows Update I need to install Service Pack 2 on my Vista desk top system. I do not intend to get Windows 7, so it seems I will have to spend the hours on dial-up and download, install this service pack. After all is completed, what benefits will I get? And what specific dangers should I be aware of? Thanks. Michael Hughs

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Hughs View Post
    I'm a little lazy about installing patches and updates and that seems to be a good thing if I read Woody correctly. In the past week or so I have been trying to catch up and now I'm being told by Windows Update I need to install Service Pack 2 on my Vista desk top system. I do not intend to get Windows 7, so it seems I will have to spend the hours on dial-up and download, install this service pack. After all is completed, what benefits will I get? And what specific dangers should I be aware of? Thanks. Michael Hughs
    Hi Michael, Welcome to the Lounge.
    First of all, Updates and Patches and Service Packs are very important and should be kept updated. It's a lot easier to do them AS they come out, rather than waiting and have a large accumulation waiting for you. So I recommend you install them now.

So far as SP2 there are a lot of things included in the Pack. A list of some are shown below.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SP2 is a fairly significant upgrade.

Windows Vista SP2 includes numerous changes to the Vista operating system. Here are some of the highlights of what it'll do for you:

Let you record data onto Blu-ray discs

Add into your system Vista Feature Pack For Wireless, which provides support for the latest Bluetooth technology -- Bluetooth v2.1 -- as well as for the Windows Connect Now (WCN) Wi-Fi protocol

Give you better Wi-Fi performance when you're exiting Vista's sleep mode

Make your RSS feeds sidebar gadget work faster and better

Give you the latest desktop search engine, Windows Search 4

Cut down the resources it takes to run your various sidebar gadgets

It'll give your OS an overall tune-up, too.

Vista Service Pack 2 will also deliver some under the hood improvements, which will:

Give your computer support for VIA technologies' new 64 bit CPU

Let your system support exFat, which can handle larger files and can also use UTC timestamps so you can synchronize files across different time zones

Boost your power management efficiency by as much as 10 percent

Additionally, a slew of system bugs will be corrected in the update, including some slow shutdown problems and others.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!

Thanks
    Since it is 348 MB I would suggest you give a USB flash drive to a friend who has broadband, and ask them to download it for you! (I have no idea how people can cope without broadband nowadays, what with the size of fixes from Microsoft, AV updates, and the like).

The benefits you will get from installing SP2 (remember you must have SP1 on already) is to have all the fixes for Vista up to around May this year. There will be more since, which you may or may not already have downloaded...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Also note that there are a few and going to be more "Updates" that require SP2

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Michael,
    I guess it just my nature to take a contrary view of things .. but, here is my 2cents. I have just ( past few weeks ) switched back from SP-2 to Sp-1 and never again to install another Micro Squish update again. (no point in doing so unless you have a reason to) like some program won't run, (Net FrameWork stuff, etc.) Right now my PC went from 15.4 GB (compressed backup) to 9.88GB (Compressed Backup) Same programs just ditched SP-2 and all the "bloat" updates that come with it. (and no it wasn't shadow copies)I don't want to "hijack" the thread and post all the reasons why, My advice (in my not so humble opinion ...if you can do it ..it ain't brag) is if your system is working, let your security (Norton 360,Malwarebytes,etc.) do the heavy lifting and forget the MS "cat chasing its tail" updates! I will be posting in a different thread all the "reasons why" For now my PC is a happy camper again and the "buggyness" is gone!!! Regards
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    Hello Michael,
    I guess it just my nature to take a contrary view of things .. but, here is my 2cents. I have just ( past few weeks ) switched back from SP-2 to Sp-1 and never again to install another Micro Squish update again. (no point in doing so unless you have a reason to) like some program won't run, (Net FrameWork stuff, etc.) Right now my PC went from 15.4 GB (compressed backup) to 9.88GB (Compressed Backup) Same programs just ditched SP-2 and all the "bloat" updates that come with it. (and no it wasn't shadow copies)I don't want to "hijack" the thread and post all the reasons why, My advice (in my not so humble opinion ...if you can do it ..it ain't brag) is if your system is working, let your security (Norton 360,Malwarebytes,etc.) do the heavy lifting and forget the MS "cat chasing its tail" updates! I will be posting in a different thread all the "reasons why" For now my PC is a happy camper again and the "buggyness" is gone!!! Regards
    If you had been installing patches on any sort of basis after SP-1 and before SP-2 you already had most of the fixes in SP-2. If you had issues with your PC after SP-2 you should've started a thread to deal with the issues one at a time. Prioritize the problems and start with the most serious then work your way through them.

There are ways of finding out where you mass storage is being used so you can recover at least part of it. Installation of a service pack makes a backup of everything it replaces. That alone can be a very significant amount of disk space.

IMO, to place all your faith in Norton 360, Malwarebytes and any other security program while ignoring operating system updates that fix security issues is a bad idea.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Plain Fred View Post
    ...never again to install another Micro Squish update again. (no point in doing so unless you have a reason to)...
    Fred,

The main reason so many PCs have been taken over and are now part of large botnet networks is people not installing the Microsoft security patches. PLEASE reconsider and let us help you get your PC fully patched and secure.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a problem after SP2 on my Vista as i have Office Premium 2000 installed and patched SP1,SP2 and SP3. Vista SP2 wrecked my Office install, Word wouldn't load and in attempting repair three Reg entries blocked the process. I obtained Microsoft help # but there only resolve was to uninstall my Office 2000, (buy later version hahaha)

My answer was to put back an image made before i installed the Vista SP1, and no longer use Windows Update preferring to rely on my backups and Kaspersky Anti-Virus instead. I'd agree probably not that good answer but i like and wish to use the Office suite i payed for,which runs fine in the 2000 mode it was made to run in on my Vista

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Michael Hughs:

You wrote: "so it seems I will have to spend the hours on dial-up and download, install this service pack."

and from BATcher: "Since it is 348 MB I would suggest you give a USB flash drive to a friend who has broadband, and ask them to download it for you! (I have no idea how people can cope without broadband nowadays, what with the size of fixes from Microsoft, AV updates, and the like)."

If you use Windows Update, it downloads a highly compressed set of data. For Vista SP2, the data is around 40 MB if you look into the log files, even though the UI says it is 348 MB or more. If you enable Windows Update (or Microsoft Update) it will download in the background whenever you are online, using only the bandwidth you are not using (it won't slow down any email or browsing you are doing). Once teh delta data is downloaded, Windows Update rebuilds a full copy of the Windows service pack (and individual Windows security updates) before beginning the install, so it's not any more or less robust or thorough than the full standalone download.

Security Updates for an older SP (e.g. SP1) will only be made availalbe for about 24 months after SP2 is released, so you will have to move sometime if you want to keep up-to-date with security. I recommend sooner rather than later.