Results 1 to 5 of 5
  1. #1
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    In a recent thread I commented on the fact that I can perform significant operations on my 64-bit Windows 7 installation by booting into my 32-bit Vista dual-boot drive and running it from there. I can, for example, perform a defrag using my expensive defrag program and defragmenting my Windows 7 drive from Vista, which saves me the price of an upgrade to the latest version of the defrag program.

    Another interesting possibility has arisen in that I am left to ask whether or not the same applies to a backup or an imaging program. It is moot in my case in that I have invested in Win 7-compatible programs or think that I am covered in the case of my major imaging program, but files are files, folders are folders, data is data, and everything beyond the realm of the boot drive or partition is dead wood: you can back up anything you like.

    Or can you? That is a question, not an answer, and I apologize for not stating that at the outset. It is, however, a field of interest as users are horrified at the prospect of incompatibilities or expense with Windows 7, when they can have both the old and the new installed on a single computer with dual-boot.

    As you may have gathered, I am a recent convert, and I am beginning to see the benefits.


  2. #2
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by peterg View Post
    Or can you? That is a question, not an answer ...
    As you may have seen in other threads, my modern day life (this Dell computer) started with Win XP on an 80 gig drive. On a second internal 250 gig drive, I now have partitions with multi-boot Vista Ultimate and Win 7 Pro.

    Since EVERYTHING I use on a daily basis is installed in XP, I have not bothered to do so in Vista or Win 7. I have Shadow Protect installed in XP and use it DAILY to make incremental backup images of XP, Vista and Win 7. With fingers crossed, I've not had any problems with that. Last year when I was new to the Vista world I had to do a few restores from those images created from within XP and they worked flawlessly. It was nice that I could do the Vista restore while running XP and didn't have to boot from my SP boot CD.

    I also do a defrag, usually on a monthly basis, using the same "strategy."

  3. #3
    Super Moderator BATcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    A cultural area in SW England
    Posts
    3,420
    Thanks
    33
    Thanked 195 Times in 175 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    I have Shadow Protect installed in XP and use it DAILY to make incremental backup images of XP, Vista and Win 7. With fingers crossed, I've not had any problems with that.
    And are not likely to! I asked the question in the Shadow Protect forum some time ago and the helpful TechSupp chaps there suggested that this was the best way to back up a multiboot system - just install the backup software on one of the operating systems, probably the newer/newest, and back up all partitions from there.
    BATcher

    Time prevents everything happening all at once...

  4. #4
    Plutonium Lounger
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Lexington, Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    12,107
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    And are not likely to! I asked the question in the Shadow Protect forum some time ago and the helpful TechSupp chaps there suggested that this was the best way to back up a multiboot system - just install the backup software on one of the operating systems, probably the newer/newest, and back up all partitions from there.
    It's somewhat funny to me that this is exactly how I got to where I am! When I first setup my XP and Vista dual boot last year, I asked if I could install Shadow Protect in the Vista OS, since it's one machine and only one OS can run at a time. I was told NO, you can't do that without a second license. Since I didn't want to buy another license, here I am and there it is...

    What's even funnier is that I DO have multiple licenses for the three OSs for some software like ClipMate, SpywareBlaster and some others. I suppose I'm fickle or something like that.

  5. #5
    Bronze Lounger
    Join Date
    Apr 2001
    Location
    Peterborough, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,450
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    It's somewhat funny to me that this is exactly how I got to where I am! When I first setup my XP and Vista dual boot last year, I asked if I could install Shadow Protect in the Vista OS, since it's one machine and only one OS can run at a time. I was told NO, you can't do that without a second license. Since I didn't want to buy another license, here I am and there it is...

    What's even funnier is that I DO have multiple licenses for the three OSs for some software like ClipMate, SpywareBlaster and some others. I suppose I'm fickle or something like that.
    I am glad I asked, because this really is a useful (and economical) arrangement. Incidentally, I once had a problem with a computer on which ShadowProtect was installed, and they let me install it on a different computer (pulling the plug on the license for the first computer), but I don't know whether that is a routine possibility or not. I still want the majority of my programs on the Windows 7 drive, as I find the O/S to be very efficient and to this point, reliable.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •