Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Note to the bosses and Admins: can we possibly figure a way to make the bad word filter STOP rejecting the company named Mat-su-shi-ta please?

Ths word is what I think is being filtered in this post today. It's the second occurrence in recent weeks that I'm aware of.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Note to the bosses and Admins: can we possibly figure a way to make the bad word filter STOP rejecting the company named Mat-su-shi-ta please?
    Cue to try several words, like the town in the north-east of England pronounced Scun-thorpe.
    The replacement of an embedded 'rude word' even happens inside links - here's the corresponding Wikipedia link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S######horpe"
    In fact following an exhaustive test of rude town names, village names, street names, and the like, it seems that only 'some' words are censored. Could be a really exciting task to hunt through the IP-Board code... :yawn:

And as for rude domain names, well... At least PowergenItalia.com is 'under construction' (Powergen used to be an English electricity utility...).
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    This word is what I think is being filtered in this post today. It's the second occurrence in recent weeks that I'm aware of.
    Well, you could use the "empty tag hack" to write Matsushita. But it is silly to have to do so. As we grow the moderator corps, perhaps we can just have posts with questionable words or phrases "light up" in some manner so they can be promptly reviewed by a smarter filter.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Well, you could use the "empty tag hack" to write Matsushita. But it is silly to have to do so. As we grow the moderator corps, perhaps we can just have posts with questionable words or phrases "light up" in some manner so they can be promptly reviewed by a smarter filter.
    Hee hee, that old tried and tested hack which originated from Scunthorpe I believe
    Jerry

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    But the "average" Lounger (including ME!) doesn't know anything about empty tag hacks or the like, especially if he's writing a company name like Matsu######a!!!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Agreed Al (just a bit of [s]beard[/s] leg pulling, I have been researching it whilst away from the Lounge and it appears that it is pretty straight forward and the XML file that contains the bad words in filters could be adjusted to adapt for this behaviour but we will have to leave it to the management to place this on their priority list.
    Jerry

Thanks
    But the "average" Lounger (including ME!) doesn't know anything about empty tag hacks or the like, especially if he's writing a company name like Matsu######a!!!
    Yes, sorry, I didn't mean to imply that we should have to live with the problem. Hacks should not be necessary. Those who know how the filter works hopefully will join the thread with a proposed solution.

== Edit ==

By the way, the empty tag hack is to use something like [b][/b] in the middle of the problem word. That fools the filter, for better or worse.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Agreed Al (just a bit of [s]beard[/s] leg pulling, ...
    Hmmm, I've got 6 and 8 year old grandsons, so I keep my beard trimmed short enough to avoid pulling!

Thanks
    How about a radical suggestion, that we should just scrap this censoring entirely?

I must say I can't remember anyone in the history of the Lounge ever causing trouble by being deliberately rude. (Maybe former Admins and Moderators could comment on this?) This is a techie board, not one peopled by silly teenagers, so this crass censorship mechanism shouldn't be required...
    BATcher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    How about a radical suggestion, that we should just scrap this censoring entirely?

I must say I can't remember anyone in the history of the Lounge ever causing trouble by being deliberately rude. (Maybe former Admins and Moderators could comment on this?) This is a techie board, not one peopled by silly teenagers, so this crass censorship mechanism shouldn't be required...
    That's because of several things:

1] The content filter blocked them
    2] The content filter changed words like vi_agra to ** Spam post - please alert a Moderator ** which worked well as an alert in both the body of the post and the subject.
    3] Former Admins trashed inappropriate posts before anyone's sensitivities were subjected to them.

There may be a case to remove ambiguous entries, but I think the advantages of the filter outweigh the disadvantages.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    A bit radical, yes. When we are about to open up the Lounge to the whole Internet?

I must say I can't remember anyone in the history of the Lounge ever causing trouble by being deliberately rude.
    That's because the Admins and Mods were working.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    ...I must say I can't remember anyone in the history of the Lounge ever causing trouble by being deliberately rude...
    I can remember many. They were rapidly removed by your admins and moderators, and the perpetrators were sent a reminder of the lounge rules.

Brian Livingston
    Based on the many comments in this thread about the unintended and somewhat absurd operations of the bad word filter, Admin Robert Wade and I have just finished temporarily deleting its entries. We preserved the old entries in a file for archival purposes. Fixing the bad word filter was on our list of things to do, anyway. The temporary change will permit posters to mention companies such as Matsushita without their posts being mutilated.

The bad word filter is a fairly blunt instrument provided by IP.Board. The way it was configured, it was munging specific strings in a way that made it hard for an Admin or Mod to even see what the poster had written. The name of the Japanese company mentioned above is only one example of ways the bad word filter operated, well, badly.

A better solution would be for a post containing certain strings to generate a report that Admins and Mods would immediately see. We'll work this week and next on finding a way to implement this kind of notification. Invision or a third party may have an add-on that would help us in this regard. The paid subscribers of Windows Secrets, who will be joining the Lounge this week, will not pose a naughty-language threat, and Google will not index any pages for the public for a few days.

Those of us who have access to badgeholder forums should use that mechanism for further discussion of the issues involved. Thanks for reporting this. You've accelerated a fix to the bad word filter that was already on our road map but might have taken longer to get to.

Thanks
    Seems to be a sensible solution!
    BATcher

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    A better solution would be for a post containing certain strings to generate a report that Admins and Mods would immediately see.
    One other thought: could the "replace" function that changes certain strings to ### characters instead be coded to "color" them in a manner similar to the [highlight] tag with a color that matches the text? E.g., if the text is black, [highlight='#000']asdf[/highlight].

This would preserve the content, while shielding those who might glance at the post before moderation. The curious, of course, who will figure out how to view the text, cannot be protected from themselves.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast