Thread: Search

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Can the Search tab in the menu bar be removed in the Lounge ?
    I think many people will use this thinking that they search the Lounge. See [topic='768718']this topic[/topic] and [topic='768649']this topic[/topic]
    Francois

Thanks
    If the tab must remain because it is part of the site-wide design, perhaps one of these would be attractive:

1. Add a drop-down or pop-up with links for WS site search or Lounge search (it's an extra click, but no confusion);
    2. Have the tab do a Lounge search when in the Lounge, but a WS site search outside the Lounge (could be disorienting to some users);
    3. Gray out the tab, and disable its navigation, when in the Lounge (could be confusing to those trying to find search in the Lounge);
    4. At a minimum, rename it to "Search WS" if that is its function.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    If the tab must remain because it is part of the site-wide design, perhaps one of these would be attractive:
    [snip]
    I agree. But we have not completed the move yet, there are more things to come. (And the search box for the Lounge is in the top right corner, where we had the search pop up/search link in ver. 2.)

Brian Livingston
    I'll investigate renaming the top-level menu item "WS Search." This is similar to "WS Home," which we settled on to make sure everyone understood that "Home" means "the home page of WindowsSecrets.com," which is the parent URL of the Lounge.

Also, I've been wanting to add "Search" to the second-level Lounge menu. But this item did not rise above several more-pressing needs on the to-do list recently.

Now that some of our immediate to-do list has been completed, perhaps I can turn my attention to adding "Search" once more. Placing "Search" just after "Rules" on the second-level menu would put "Search" into almost direct proximity with the word "Lounge" on the top-level menu.

It's understandably confusing for us to have two different search scopes. But that's unavoidable until single sign-in and a unified database are implemented months from now.

In the meantime, Lounge Search would lead to the board's Advanced Search, but that isn't such a bad thing. (There are many features of Lounge searching that don't work using the basic search.)

Thanks for suggesting this.

Thanks
    Could I interject with a suggestion to replace the Board Search mechanism, which I've never been able to get on with, with Google Search? I don't know how practical this would be, but everyone knows how to get good results from Google!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    Could I interject with a suggestion to replace the Board Search mechanism, which I've never been able to get on with, with Google Search? I don't know how practical this would be, but everyone knows how to get good results from Google!
    Many people know how to get good results from Google.

I think the flaw in relying on Google is that they decide which pages to index; you can't force them to index everything you want, exactly when you want it. So Google search will undoubtedly be a useful adjunct -- and perhaps even a preferred method of searching for terms you aren't sure are spelled correctly -- but I am leery of relying solely on Google.