Thread: System Tray

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Does anyone know how to make the icons in the Win 7 tray align in a 3-high form, please? In its present form, it takes up a bit too much horizontal real estate for my liking.

I have an XP MCE tray as I describe but I don't remember what I did to get it, it has been so long ago. I think, however, that what I did concerned making the CLOCK three rows high as the icons already were.

WINDOWS XP:

[attachment=86785:2009-11-30_075757.png]

WINDOWS 7:

[attachment=86786:2009-11-30_075057.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    The problem is NOT in the system tray, but in the new Taskbar area. The row spacing is based on the height of the "Open Apps" Icon and is carried across the entire Taskbar.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Does anyone know how to make the icons in the Win 7 tray align in a 3-high form, please? In its present form, it takes up a bit too much horizontal real estate for my liking.
    How about using the Notification Tray "Options" to hide some of the icons you don't really need displayed all the time?
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Thanks
    Al, I don't have an answer to your question but I can propose an alternative that may or may not suit your requirements.

I set some of the lesser used icons to "Only show notifications" in Control Panel. That way I reduce the clutter in the notification area (and its real estate!). When was the last time you actually used the Logitech icon in your tray. Mine is hidden but only a click away if I really need to check its battery charge.

[attachment=86791:Capture.PNG]

oops... I see Jeff with his super fast computer (or is it fingers) beat me to the draw...
    Regards,
    PaulB

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulB View Post
    oops... I see Jeff with his super fast computer (or is it fingers) beat me to the draw...
    It's all in the timing, Paul!
    Jeff
    simul iustus et peccator

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pilgrim View Post
    It's all in the timing, Paul!
    Of course, you and Paul are both correct - I could hide some of the icons and take up a tad less vertical space, but it's the principle as much as anything with me. It seems that the icons in the tray are a tad larger than those, for example, that are pinned to the taskbar, so I figured there MUST be a way to make those @#$%^& tray icons show up a little smaller, but especially in the three-high manner that I'm used to from XP.

Obviously, you know that it's not a "mission critical" problem and if it can't be done, I'll live with it. But it's sometimes the chase that's as interesting as the motivation...

[attachment=86796:Image1.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigaldoc View Post
    Of course, you and Paul are both correct - I could hide some of the icons and take up a tad less vertical space, but it's the principle as much as anything with me. It seems that the icons in the tray are a tad larger than those, for example, that are pinned to the taskbar, so I figured there MUST be a way to make those @#$%^& tray icons show up a little smaller, but especially in the three-high manner that I'm used to from XP.

Obviously, you know that it's not a "mission critical" problem and if it can't be done, I'll live with it. But it's sometimes the chase that's as interesting as the motivation...
    Searching around a bit, I saw several threads asking about changing the icon space but no solution. Several other threads complaining about the vertical and horizontal spacing.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    More searching I found TweakGuides.com - The TweakGuides Tweaking Companion. There is a free version you can download for Win7, Vista, & XP.

You can try the icon spacing adjustment for desktop icons.

1.) Right click on the desktop and select personalize.
    2.) Select the Windows Colors link at the bottom of the page.
    3.) Click "Advanced Appearance Settings".
    4.) Adjust the horizontal and vertical spacing.
    5.) Click apply and the changes should be reflected immediately.

Note: by changing these settings you'll affect the icon spacing in all windows such as the Control Panel.

I have no idea if this will affect the notification area.

Joe

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    1. I can't seem to get screenshot of this, but right-click on the taskbar and if it is locked, click 'unlock' to unlock it.

2. Right-click again (whether or not you clicked 1.) and you will find a tabbed set of lists of 'Taskbar and Start Menu Properties' as well as a link (if you are online) that says 'How do I customize the taskbar?', which will take you to a great deal of information on the subject.

3. For your specific question, hover over the line at the top of the taskbar for the familiar two-headed arrow (but only if you have unlocked the taskbar), and drag it, or more properly jerk it, up or down a level or two to change the configuration. Once you have what suits you, right-click on the bar and lock it in place.

4. If you feel like experimenting, note that you can fling (my word) the whole shooting-match to the top of the screen or to either side, so long as it is unlocked, and then lock it in place. In this era of short and wide screens, such as are found on netbooks with terrible aspect ratios, I have one netbook computer with the taskbar against the side instead of the bottom, thereby conserving precious real-estate. Height is precious, width is cheap, but getting used to it may take a while.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter,

Dragging the size of the taskbar will increment by the size of the main taskbar icons, allowing 1, 2 or 3 rows (or more if you are crazy).

The system tray icons are much smaller than the main taskbar icons, and on Windows Vista and Windows XP it was normal to have two rows of normal icons in the taskbar with 3 rows of system tray icons.

With Windows 7 the smaller system tray icons all seem to take the same vertical space as the larger icons on the rest of the taskbar. So a taskbar with two rows of normal icons only has 2 rows of system tray icons. Dragging the size of the taskbar does not help with this as it takes up far too much space on the screen.