Lounger
    Thanks
    I have five computers linked up in a network here at home, 3 are running XP and 2 are running Vista, all using WMP 11. On all but one XP machine, I have been able to select (in WMP) Tools|Options|Library to access the Configure Sharing button, and check the Share my media box. This is not working for one machine only. When I check that box and then click OK, the OK box greys out, nothing happens for a while, then the message box is redrawn with the box checked and the OK button available again. The sharing never takes effect. It doesn't matter how many times I repeat the procedure. Any ideas what might be hampering the implementation of sharing in this instance?

BTW, on this one XP machine that that won't share media via WMP, file sharing is working just fine.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Cotton

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    I have five computers linked up in a network here at home, 3 are running XP and 2 are running Vista, all using WMP 11. On all but one XP machine, I have been able to select (in WMP) Tools|Options|Library to access the Configure Sharing button, and check the Share my media box. This is not working for one machine only. When I check that box and then click OK, the OK box greys out, nothing happens for a while, then the message box is redrawn with the box checked and the OK button available again. The sharing never takes effect. It doesn't matter how many times I repeat the procedure. Any ideas what might be hampering the implementation of sharing in this instance?

BTW, on this one XP machine that that won't share media via WMP, file sharing is working just fine.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Cotton
    From post #2 at XP Media Sharing in WMP 11 problem - Media Player:

In Admin' Tools/Services
    Start SSDP Discovery Service and then start Universal Plug and Play Device
    Host Service.

You should then find that WMP11 Media Sharing will turn on and discover the
    device.

Joe
    Joe

Lounger
    Thanks
    Sorry to appear like a total bonehead, but what is SSDP Discovery Service and how does one start it? Ditto for how to start UPnP device host service.

Cotton
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    From post #2 at XP Media Sharing in WMP 11 problem - Media Player:

In Admin' Tools/Services
    Start SSDP Discovery Service and then start Universal Plug and Play Device
    Host Service.

You should then find that WMP11 Media Sharing will turn on and discover the
    device.

Joe

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cotton View Post
    Sorry to appear like a total bonehead, but what is SSDP Discovery Service and how does one start it? Ditto for how to start UPnP device host service.
    No problem at all. You never appear to be a bonehead if you ask a question when you don't understand.
    Right click "My Computer" (either on the desktop or start menu) and select "Manage". When the Computer Management applet opens click the "+" sign next to "Services and Applications". The click on "Services". In the right pane scroll down until you find SSDP Discovery Service. Right click on that and select "Start". Repeat for UPnP, which is called "Universal Plug and Play Device Host".

See if you can setup your media center sharing. If not, re-boot and try again.

Joe
    Joe