3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had a file open in Excel 2000 that I had altered significantly. I got called away and lost track of what I was doing. I then closed the file without saving it again.

I have Autosave turned on and I would think it would have saved the file but I'm having no luck in getting it recovered.

I have a file named Excel.xlb in the Excel folder in Documents & Settings,bhdavis,application data, microsoft, excel (the specified location for autosave under in OPTIONS, SAVE.

However, I can't get this file to open (even tried renaming it to .xls).

Autosave is set to save every 10 minutes, and the time stamp on the Excel.xlb is right within the time frame I need.

Can you tell me how to recover an autosave file? I've tried this a number of times over the years and never been able to figure it out. MS Help is of NO HELP !

Thanks,
    BH

Thanks
    As best I recall, the Autosave addin in 2000, actually saves the open file, so re-opening the file should have your changes (or most of them). The .xlb file is actually the file wher Excel stores its toolbar customisations, so that won't help you I'm afraid.
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ooops.........Excel 2002..........typo. Sorry....

And yes I did finally find in HELP where the .xlb file is the tool bar settings. So where the devil does it save the files? There's nothing else in the Doc and Settings location other then that .xlb file.

BH

Quote Originally Posted by rory View Post
    As best I recall, the Autosave addin in 2000, actually saves the open file, so re-opening the file should have your changes (or most of them). The .xlb file is actually the file wher Excel stores its toolbar customisations, so that won't help you I'm afraid.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Unfortunately, Excel XP does not have the old Autosave, but rather Autorecover. It saves to temporary files in a path you can find in Tools, Options, save tab.
    Once Excel is closed however, these temporary files are deleted. You could try using undelete software to get them back.

That is the only option you have left to recover your changes I'm afraid.

Consider using my autosafe addin: www.jkp-ads.com/download.asp
    Jan Karel Pieterse
    Microsoft Excel MVP, WMVP
    www.jkp-ads.com
    Professional Office Developers Association

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Though I have long been an off and on reader of Windows Secrets and LangaList.....I have just now made it to this forum and right off the bat, I find something that just today came across my tech team that they are having a problem with. I see that the autosave/recovery option is not dependable......and though the user 'says' she was saving her work all afternoon, nothing appeared to be saved for over 4 hours when the file was reopened after a system crash. I have not only downloaded the autosafe file (Thank you Jan!), but I also have an undelete program that I will try to see if I can recover data. This has saved me many hours of research.

I look forward to a long, learning relationship with 'The Lounge' and it's inhabitants.

Brandy