New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, can you help please! I have Windows Vista installed and I wanted to restrict some folders from my kids. I set-up three accounts, one for me and one each for my two kids and went into My documents and "did something" not sure what now (sorry not much help i know!!), and I have in effect hidden the folders! I have selected various options in Windows Explorer to unhide folders but none of the combinations work. How can I retrieve these folders? HELP!

Thanking you in advance.

Kind regards

John

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johnmcg View Post
    Hi, can you help please! I have Windows Vista installed and I wanted to restrict some folders from my kids. I set-up three accounts, one for me and one each for my two kids and went into My documents and "did something" not sure what now (sorry not much help i know!!), and I have in effect hidden the folders! I have selected various options in Windows Explorer to unhide folders but none of the combinations work. How can I retrieve these folders? HELP!
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Are the folders unavailable in all three accounts?

Have you tried logging in with the builtin Administrator account?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    You may have accidently set the hidden file attribute from the file/folder properties box.
    By default Windows Explorer does not show hidden file/folders.
    To change this, go into Explorer's tools/folder options.
    On the view tab you will see a radio button to "show hidden files and folders.
    Change this to show hidden files, and then try to see if your folders have re-appeared.

The proper way to restrict access is to use the security tab on the folders properties dialog box.
    Here you can allow full control to yourself, and either read-only to everyone else
    or un-check everything for the other users so that they can't even see the folders.