bnuss

Hotsync KERNEL32.DLL error

Can anyone tell me what's going on? I have a Handspring Visor Deluxe, Japanese OS. For the first month I've had it, no sync problems at all. Now, however, every time I try to sync I get to the point where it is syncing mail (everything is synced to Outlook 2000) and I get an error message saying (I translate from Japanese, my Windows ME machine is also japanese OS) "Hotsync has caused an error in KERNEL32.DLL. Hotsync will be shut down. If you cannot solve the problem, please restart the computer." Needless to say, restarting hasn't helped me. As far as I know, KERNEL32.DLL is where it's supposed to be (C:Windowssystem). The only hint that I have is that this started after my wife installed Riven on the computer. To complete the install, we had to install Quicktime 32. We already have Quicktime 5, and both were listed under control panel-applications. I uninstalled Quicktime 32, and uninstalled/re-installed the handspring software, all to no avail. Anyone know what to do?

Considering recent events, I really appreciate your taking time to help me.
    Brent Nussey
    Tokyo, Japan

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Hotsync KERNEL32.DLL error

Sounds to me like a .dll was replaced when Riven was installed. IF this is true, reinstalling your HotSync software should do the trick.

I had a similar problem with my Visor. It was a chance for me to upgrade to Palm's new v.4 desktop. Works great for me.

Good Luck

bnuss

Thanks for the reply. I just completely uninstalled and reinstalled the Handspring software, but I still get the same message... Any other ideas?

Brent

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All I can think of is to exit all other software. Make sure there is nothing but the hotsync software in the system tray. Also check for antivirus software. As necessary as it is, it can be a hassle at times.

If I find anything substantial, I'll be sure to post it.

bnuss

Thanks. I'll try turning off the antivirus software, etc. I discovered that if I turn of the email sync, that the rest of the sync will work fine. So the problem seems to be with the email, which leads me to believe it might be something other than my wife's bargain basement game software. I'll keep working on it.

bnuss

For anyone else who encounters this problem in the future, system restore finally got everything working right again.

bnuss

Re: Hotsync KERNEL32.DLL error-final answer

In case anyone else comes across this problem again, I finally got a real answer that works. You have to download an update to the Outlook conduit. it's at http://www.palm.com/support/downloads/EmailUpd304En.exe and finally solved my ongoing problem. It turns out that with some mail settings, there's a problem when there are too many recipients listed on the mail. This fix truncates the list.