Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have received a CD from Microsoft as a freebie in a PC magazine. It contains Microsoft Security Essentials and IE8. I think I will install IE8 but am concerned about Microsoft Security Essentials. Will it give an exrtra layer of security to my Norton AV 2010 and Spyware Doctor or is there a danger of conflicts?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    I think I will install IE8 but am concerned about Microsoft Security Essentials. Will it give an exrtra layer of security to my Norton AV 2010 and Spyware Doctor or is there a danger of conflicts?
    Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus program. You should only run one "real time" antivirus program at a time.

Lounger
    Thanks
    My recommendation is that you uninstall both Norton and Spyware Doctor and install Security Essentials instead. You should find your computer running faster, being more responsive. MSE checks for both viruses and spyware in a single check, rather than the 2 or more that Norton and SD use. This will also improve system stability.

If you want to get your money's worth (and not uninstall your paid programs right away) then at least consider the "upgrade" when it's time to renew. If you don't like MSE, you can always go back.

Thanks
    Especially Norton and to an extent, Spyware Doctor, tend to gobble lots of RAM and CPU cycles. They are resource hogs. Uninstall both and go with MSE for both AV and Malware protection. I would suggest an uninstaller called REVO Uninstaller. This roots out all the garbage the products uninstallers leave behind. REVO has some of the best recommendations I have ever read, and it's FREE!!!!
    Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Especially Norton and to an extent, Spyware Doctor, tend to gobble lots of RAM and CPU cycles. They are resource hogs. Uninstall both and go with MSE for both AV and Malware protection. I would suggest an uninstaller called REVO Uninstaller. This roots out all the garbage the products uninstallers leave behind. REVO has some of the best recommendations I have ever read, and it's FREE!!!!
    Ted
    Perhaps you havent played with NIS2010. Its extremely light on resources and a top tier antivirus solution this time around.

MSE has earned horrible ratings in detection, but excels in its resource usage. Id rather be protected than keep my resources.

Not one single AV or Antimalware program has 100% detection which is why its better to go with a multilayered security setup. MSE will miss alot of stuff that NIS and SD or another antispyware app will detect.

I also would urge you to stay away from Spyware Doctor as well. SD is scare ware. With its free trial it claims more spyware is present than there actually is. It scares you into thinking you need it to be safe when in reality you dont. There are much better and lighter alternatives. For a better alternative check out MBAM (Malware Bytes Antimalware) or SAS (Super Anti Spyware). Both have top notch detection and MBAM offers a free version.

For which AV and antispyware app you should choose have a look here in this thread:

http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=769764
    My Laptop Specs
    Asus M50SV-A1, Win7 x64 Pro, 1440x900 WXGA screen, 250Gb Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD with 8Mb Cache, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz Processor with 6Mb L2 cache, 3Gbs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512Mb GPU, Logitech G5, Saitek X52/ST290 Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Looking for firewall, antivirus, or antispyware suggestions. Do some research: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    MSE has earned horrible ratings in detection, but excels in its resource usage.
    "Horrible"? Where was that?

Quote Originally Posted by whitedragon551 View Post
    For which AV and antispyware app you should choose have a look here in this thread:
    It's a nice enough post, but mentioning it in every thread seems like spamming.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Especially Norton . . . . tend to gobble lots of RAM and CPU cycles. They are resource hogs.
    It never ceases to amaze me how many so-called "knowledgeable" users continue to spout this nonsense. Really Ted, you should actually have some facts prior to posting your (probably second-hand) "opinions".
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    "Horrible"? Where was that?

It's a nice enough post, but mentioning it in every thread seems like spamming.
    Maybe I should have used a better word rather than horrible. Its sub par compared to other free products out there. SuperAntispyware and MBAM are just a few that are better and also free. As for free AVs Avast has better detection rates as well as Avira Antivir Free.

Im just simply helping out. It has all the information the OP needs to make an informed decision on his security setup.

If included the screenshots which place Avast, Avira, AVG, and other free AV solutions over MSE.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    My Laptop Specs
    Asus M50SV-A1, Win7 x64 Pro, 1440x900 WXGA screen, 250Gb Seagate Momentus 5400.4RPM HD with 8Mb Cache, Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5Ghz Processor with 6Mb L2 cache, 3Gbs of RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 9500GS 512Mb GPU, Logitech G5, Saitek X52/ST290 Logitech Precision Gaming Headset

Looking for firewall, antivirus, or antispyware suggestions. Do some research: Antivirus, Antispyware, and Firewall Research Thread

Lounger
    Thanks
    Let's post some actual numbers, shall we?
    On my 32bit Windows 7 computer, running MSE: 2516KB memory usage
    On my 32bit Windows XP computer, runing Symantec Endpoint Protection (ver 11.0): 3 processes totalling 13616KB memory usage

Now, that's the Symantec corporate edition, (not including Network Access Control.) It's a lot less bloated than Norton.

Anyone care to post number for Norton's usage? Be sure to include all the included bells and whistles.
    Also, can someone post memory usage for SuperAntiSpyware?

As for effectiveness: Microsoft Scores better on VB100 than competitors
    Now, before you go saying "forefront is not security essentials", let me point out that MSE is the same engine as Forefront 2.0 (which is delayed until November 2010 due to management server integration.)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    Microsoft Security Essentials is an antivirus program. You should only run one "real time" antivirus program at a time.
    and yet whitedragon 551 says "Not one single AV or Antimalware program has 100% detection which is why its better to go with a multilayered security setup."

There seems to be a major difference of opinion here.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Henson View Post
    Let's post some actual numbers, shall we?
    On my 32bit Windows 7 computer, running MSE: 2516KB memory usage
    On my 32bit Windows XP computer, runing Symantec Endpoint Protection (ver 11.0): 3 processes totalling 13616KB memory usage

Now, that's the Symantec corporate edition, (not including Network Access Control.) It's a lot less bloated than Norton.

Anyone care to post number for Norton's usage? Be sure to include all the included bells and whistles.
    Also, can someone post memory usage for SuperAntiSpyware?

As for effectiveness: Microsoft Scores better on VB100 than competitors
    Now, before you go saying "forefront is not security essentials", let me point out that MSE is the same engine as Forefront 2.0 (which is delayed until November 2010 due to management server integration.)
    Those numbers dont mean anything. NIS2010 uses more than 2516KB, but its the lightest AV on the market right now. Eset NOD32 is at 91,000KB on my laptop. Also lighter and snappier in terms of usage than MSE.

If anything this proves my exact point. Its only strong point is its resource management. Its not even that good at that.

VB100's list also includes Avast, AVG, Avira Personal, all of which have better detection rates over MSE and are all also free.
    My Laptop Specs

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    and yet whitedragon 551 says "Not one single AV or Antimalware program has 100% detection which is why its better to go with a multilayered security setup."

There seems to be a major difference of opinion here.
    Real time and on demand are different. Its NOT a good thing to have multiple real time AV programs installed and running at the same time. They will conflict with each other. If however you have lets say NOD32 and KAV installed at the same time. NOD32 is your real time protection and you use only KAV as an on demand scanner thats also ok as long as you turn one off before you turn on and scan with the other.

Multilayered doesnt mean having multiple AV apps at the same time either. Multilayered includes having an Antivirus, Antispyware, and in some cases anti trojan, standalone firewall, and maybe even a sandboxing type program depending on the security softwares capability.
    My Laptop Specs

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Just a note: I'm actively running both MSE and Avira on Windows XP.....No conflicts or measured slow downs. I agree 1 single AV soloution never seems to cut it!

New Lounger
    Thanks
    never run more than one Anti-virus Avira & Avast are top rated free-wares & have used them both over the year's (one at a time) with no conflict
    using Avast5 beta now

Lounger
    Thanks
    Running two antivirus programs is NOT recommended by ANYONE in the security industry. Here is one of many, many articles on the subject.

Now, back to memory usage. Memory usage IS important to anyone running an older system. NOD using 91MB of memory? That's not a big deal--if you have 4GB of RAM. If you're running an older XP system with only 512MB of memory, that's 17% of the system's memory--quite a big chunk. Launch a couple of programs and your swap file is going to go nuts and your system slow to a crawl. Having that extra 85MB of RAM will let you do a whole lot more with your system. After all, we don't buy our systems to run security programs, we buy them to do other things.

On to effectiveness:
    MSE scores a Pass on the VB100
    MSE scores Advanced+, Symantec Advanced, and McAfee Standard

Thank you for the links, whitedragon. It's nice to have some third-party validation for the effectiveness of Microsoft Security Essentials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast