New Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

Please help!

I have done an in place upgrade from Windows Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 Ultimate, and for the most part, everything is working as expected, however the icon text from all of the desktop icons is missing. (I know, I should have done a clean install, but I was trying to avoid reloading everything)

I can right click and select rename on an icon, and the text is there...
    I have changed Themes and desktop settings to as many different combinations as I could find.
    I have turned the drop shadow on/off
    I have Changed icon text color and size, and even changed the font.

Nothing I have tried thus far works...

I downloaded a utility program called Desktop Icon Toy ver 4.0, and this program allows me to toggle the text on and off, and it does show the Icon text, however if I restart the computer, the desktop icons come back still missing the text. I can click the appropriate menu item in the Desktop Icon toy and it will once again toggle the text on!

I am suspecting that the upgrade touched some registry entries, as I found a few that did not have the correct permissions inherited from the top of the hive and once corrected resolved any issue I was working on, however I cannot locate a registry setting that controls the toggling of the desktop icon text.

Any other icons that show in my system (other than the desktop) DO show the text.

I am baffled... this is a development machine loaded with VB6 enterprise, VS2008, and all of the controls and tools that I use for development, so I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO REINSTALL EVERYTHING!

I have seen suggestions to recreate the user profile, however this would cause me to have to reload everything, which I dont want to at this point.

As I said above, everything seems to be working correctly, and I can compile/build my application with no problem, I just dont have any text under the icons and it's bugging me!

Does anyone know where the registry settings might be that would control this? Would anyone have any other suggestions?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Before you did this upgrade, did you have any tweaking done to the desktop icons, such as shortcut arrow removal?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bouchard View Post
    Does anyone know where the registry settings might be that would control this? Would anyone have any other suggestions?
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Check out Repair & Fix Windows problems with FixWin Utility | The Windows Club. Under "Additonal Fixes" there is an entry "Fix Corrupted desktop icons".

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    Before you did this upgrade, did you have any tweaking done to the desktop icons, such as shortcut arrow removal?

No, It was pretty much stock, with the Aero themes enabled.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joeperez View Post
    Welcome to the Lounge!!!

Check out Repair & Fix Windows problems with FixWin Utility | The Windows Club. Under "Additonal Fixes" there is an entry "Fix Corrupted desktop icons".

Joe
    Thank you Joe....

I downloaded and tried it to no avail!

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is just a suggestion, but you might try a search on 'desktop.ini'. I think that may determine such things as you seem to be missing, but I offer no guarantee.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    One suggestion is that your iconcache.db is corrupted. Go to C:\Users\*\AppData\Local and show hidden system files. Delete that file and reboot the system.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately, I discovered that I had many permission issues in my registry, I suspect because I did not log in as the Administrator when I did the Vista>WIndows7 upgrade!

Because of this, I had to reload the machine (and oh what a pain!!! 3 days and still reloading!) which has corrected the issue.

Pass the word to be on the machine as the Administrator when you do an in-place upgrade or you could run into problems.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Bouchard View Post
    Thank you all for your suggestions! I really appreciate the effort.

Unfortunately, I discovered that I had many permission issues in my registry, I suspect because I did not log in as the Administrator when I did the Vista>WIndows7 upgrade!

Because of this, I had to reload the machine (and oh what a pain!!! 3 days and still reloading!) which has corrected the issue.

Pass the word to be on the machine as the Administrator when you do an in-place upgrade or you could run into problems.
    Glad you go it worked out. Thanks for posting back.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I too did an in place upgrade from Windows Vista Home Premium to Windows 7 Home Premium. It took 3 hours. When Windows 7 finally loaded, the Internet Explorer icon on the deskop had disappeared and the programs that I had pinned to the start menu were gone leaving a blank start menu. Those were the only two problems I had. Before installing the upgrade, I cleaned up my PC such as removing incompatible programs and set it back to Vista's default theme.