Administrator
    Thanks
    A new free program from Codeplex - Windows Double Explorer.

From the project home page:

Project Description
    Windows Double Explorer manages two or more Windows Explorer in one application. Also you can add your favorite folders with drag and drop to the toolbar for quick access. It's easyier to manage your disc structure. (A kind of Norton Commander or Total Commander).

Note: the current download version is 0.3.5 so it is still fairly new.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the post Joe.

I'd seen this app a couple of weeks ago. Like a real dodo, I first tried it out in my handy-dandy virtual machine. It didn't work. That's because I didn't read the manual. This app only runs in Win7. My VM was XP. (I feel dumb)

Now that I've tried it out in Win7, I can see that it's very nice.
    I recommend the "Copy and Run" version which is zipped up for use as a portable app.
    http://wde.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx

I keep all my portable apps in my local AppData folder. That works for me because I prefer to keep portables separated from the installed programs.

TIPS:

Download, Unzip, and try it out. (copy and run version)

A. It's a little slow to load, so it's best to keep it minimized while it's not in use.
    B. Be sure to check out the "Known Folders" menu item - huge time saver

See ya Later ...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    If you are interested, I've posted a fairly detailed review of Double Explorer here:
    http://techie-buzz.com/utilites/wind...windows-7.html

Thanks again for drawing my attention to it.

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks
    Not too clear what this offers as against the more fully-featured FreeCommander - but time no doubt will tell....
    Grüße

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I gave it a try but quickly the program crashed, just after I tryed to switch the windows.
    It's nice but too new and not obvious to use. It must be improved before it works as good as Total Commander, which I use since I left Norton Commander (that's a long, long time ago...)

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How about this freebie?
    Free Xplorer2

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm a new member here but not new to Windows Secrets as I'd been a subscriber to Langa List for long time (since 2004 or so)...anyway, my favorite alternative to Win Expl is XYplorer (which I suggested to Fred back in 2006 -- see Langa List/Win Secrets article) but he didn't quite "get" my point ...anyway...it's one shareware alternative to Win Expl.

What I love about XY is the interaction with other users via the Beta forum and the speed at which Don (author) responds to user requests and those occasional bugs...he has the fastest turnaround that I've seen! I've seen a bug fixed in less than 20 minutes! Not 20 hours or days...now that was the extreme, yes, but most bugs are fixed via beta vers within a day or two...very impressive!

Now, I'll be honest and say that XY has a couple of very minor issues with W7 (I'm still on W2K myself) but Don will be moving to W7 very soon and will be able to better address some of those issues when he can...the main issue is with 32 vs 64 bit extensions...but that isn't a showstopper for most all users.