Thread: Office folders

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    This is embarrassing, but I have just re-installed Office 2007 Ultimate in a Vista 64-bit Windows Home Premium for the umpteenth time, accepting the default settings for file locations, and Outlook cannot find the nonexistent directory it appears to be looking for: C:\Users\Username\Appdata\Local\Microsoft\Outlook\ Outlook.pst. Word has no difficulty in finding documents (in Username\Documents), and searches yield no *.pst files on the entire computer (which is no surprise). The recommended operation is to run Scanpst.exe. There is no such folder as Appdata, much less anything beyond that. All other Office applications (including Visio and Project) appear normal.

I am right on the point of upgrading to Windows 7 and I don't care to make the leap when something that should be simple is haywire. I would be extremely grateful for helpful suggestions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Remember that the PST file is a SYSTEM hidden file, did you turn on these folders?

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Appdata is a hidden folder.

In Windows Explorer type Alt-T to get to the tools menu, then choose Folder Options...
    Select the view tab and check "Show hidden files and folders"
    OK your way out and you should now be able to navigate to C:\Users\<yourname>\Appdata\...

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    Appdata is a hidden folder.

In Windows Explorer type Alt-T to get to the tools menu, then choose Folder Options...
    Select the view tab and check "Show hidden files and folders"
    OK your way out and you should now be able to navigate to C:\Users\<yourname>\Appdata\...
    You are both bang-on, and I do feel like a fool. I will try scanpst, and if I have no luck with it I MAY (cautiously) replace the file that is indeed in the correct place but which apparently has errors with a different error-free one after saving the first.