Thread: Deleted threads

Thanks
    This morning, I received notification of a new thread in Announcements:
    "Brian Livingston has just posted a new topic entitled "The Lounge has short URLs and tiny URLs" in forum "Announcements"."
    followed shortly by notification of a response from Argus:
    "Argus has just posted a new topic entitled "Re: The Lounge has short URLs and tiny URLs" in forum "Suggestion Box"."
    Neither of these two posts seem to exist any more. Clicking on the email links gives the error:
    [#10342] We could not determine which forum the selected thread is located in.
    Following the instructions within the email:
    Please note that if you wish to get email notification of any replies to this topic, you will have to click on the "Track this Topic" link shown on the topic page, or by visiting the link below: http://lounge.window...howtopic=768736
    Results in:
    [#1031] You do not have permission to view threads in this forum.
    Does this mean the posts have been moved? Or deleted? Or retracted....? ----- EDIT BY BRIAN L. ----- The subject has been updated and reposted as Post 768802

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Brian Livingston
    The posts have been retracted. An attempt by Admin Kurt Naber and I to implement the Lounge's new "tiny URL" feature went live for a short period, during which Argus noted in the Suggestion Box forum that some aspects did not work. Kurt and I undid most (but not all) of the steps that had been taken. I removed my announcement of the new features. Witrh notification to Argus, I tempoarily moved his thread, because the behavior and my announcement of it no longer existed. Sorry for the confusion — leaving the old documentation out there would have just confused things more.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    Sorry for the confusion — leaving the old documentation out there would have just confused things more.
    Understood - thanks for the explanation.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Livingston View Post
    ....the Lounge's new "tiny URL" feature .....
    Unless I misunderstand something, the one bit of missing information to enable using any short URL, or even the Post Snap Back 'other style', is where to find the post number. At the moment, the only way I know how to get it is by hovering over / clicking on (e.g.) #2 to get:

Code:
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php/topic/768742-deleted-threads/page__view__findpost__p__805654
    but then which is the post number - 768742 or 805654?

I'm assuming one is the 'topic' and the other the 'post' number - but will there be a difference in trying to link to one or the other?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Leif,
    I can only mention how I interpret them (the IDs) at present, with the use of the UBBCode we have; the other thing is different. I think you know this, but just some test to show with code.

From this example, you used:
    Code:
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php/topic/768742-deleted-threads/page__view__findpost__p__805654
    Using the first number, Topic ID, 768742 with Topic style [ topic='768742' ]Topic link style 768742[ /topic ] [topic='768742']Topic link style 768742[/topic] takes me to the thread (topic) with your first post as a start.

BTW: Using the #1 link: #1
    Code:
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/index.php/topic/768742-deleted-threads/page__p__805653&#entry805653
    will "zoom in" on your first post.

Trying to use Topic ID 768742 as Post ID with Post style [ post='768742' ]Post link style 768742[ /post ] Post link style 768742 takes me here http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...42#entry768742 With this post: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...dpost&p=768742 Obviously not right.

And the opposite:
    Using Post ID 805654 as a Topic ID doesn't work, obviously [ topic='805654' ]Topic link style 805654[ /topic ] [topic='805654']Topic link style 805654[/topic]

Finally Post ID 805654 with Post style [ post='805654' ]Post link style 805654[ /post ] Post link style 805654 works as it should. Same as #2: #2 (but the UBBCode thing opens in a new tab in Preview, the other one in the same tab, as I mentioned in the Test area )

With the new short URLs, different than using UBBCode, I think Post IDs are going to be used, and that one as mentioned, is the last one in the full URL.

Thanks
    Sorry - what I meant was: how do you readily ascertain the number of a post, or do you have to extricate it from another link? If you have to do something like hover over the '#2' and memorise it, I'd be more likely to copy the whole link as I do at the moment for accuracy!

In the 'Other styles' drop-down box, there is the ability to add, say, [snapback]12345[/snapback] - but where do you get the 12345 from?

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    True, and that is why I, so far, also copy the whole link from that place. Unless I want to put it in context and use it in a sentence, in that case I use the abovementioned (copy the ID out of the URL), as many other do.

Anyhow, I agree, as it is now, for individual posts there should be an easier way to "capture" the post IDs, to be used with "other style", i.e. the Post code or Snap Back etc. As for the new alternative, I'm certain that there will be some easy way to "capture" the ID.

Thanks
    I agree that it should be easier to grab post and topic numbers. The [post] and [snapback] and [topic] tags provide more flexibility than static URLs (which are not all that static at the moment!).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    I agree that it should be easier to grab post and topic numbers...
    It shouldn't just be easy to GRAB the post number, it should be displayed in the title bar of each post instead of the current #1, #2 etc - the currently displayed post numbers are of no value and there is plenty of room to display the real post number in the title bar instead.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by StuartR View Post
    It shouldn't just be easy to GRAB the post number, it should be displayed in the title bar of each post instead of the current #1, #2 etc - the currently displayed post numbers are of no value and there is plenty of room to display the real post number in the title bar instead.
    I actually like those numbers: when I click the link to go to new posts, I can see how far down the thread I am. But I don't see any reason we can't have both.

Brian Livingston
    As I said at the end of Leif's original post in this thread, our new tiny URL, Bro.ws, is now fully operational. If space is tight, as in an SMS or tweet, you can grab the tiny URL shown in the upper-right corner of any thread page and share that with others instead of the full URL.

This is explained in more detail in Post 768802.

At present, Bro.ws redirects only to the top of a thread, not to an individual post within that thread. Redirecting to the second or subsequent posts in a thread is a feature we plan to add to Bro.ws in the weeks to come. We also plan to make Bro.ws redirect to every Windows Secrets article in our library. Again, this requires meticulous coding; it doesn't happen automatically.

Numerous developers and admins — from myself to Dan Engler to Kurt Engler to Tony Johnston — have grappled with "friendly URL" and Bro.ws functionality to make it work. It isn't as easy as it looks. Every function requires specific code, and every imaginable situation must be handled properly.

Our efforts to make Bro.ws work with every thread resulted in some unintended changes to Lounge URLs over all. These changes affected the URLs from 02:00 GMT Nov. 30 to 20:00 GMT Dec. 1. Everything should be working as expected now. All old Wopr.com and Lounge URLs automatically redirected to any new URL format and should continue to do so.

I don't know the answer to some of the questions you've raised about post numbers within a thread, as opposed to the thread number itself. In general, if we can find a way to display the appropriate post number after #2 and #3 and so forth, that seems like a good idea to me.